Metal Consumer Units ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After reading this thread, i'll stick my 'ore' in. 

I see what everyone's saying, and i agree the reg is a farce and needs changing. Whats point in one rule for one thing and another for another. 

From the IET's point of view, i imagine, it's that DIY is more likely to occur in domestic than it is in commercial or industrial - and plastic burns, metal doesn't and will contain the fire (better) ... that's the only reason i can see that they highlight the word domestic in the regulation.

...which then goes on to everyone elses point - they're covering up shoddy workmanship in the form of a regulation.

The NICEIC have stated on the Webinar...."...MCBs are made of a type of plastic that does not burn...but if it does it extinguishes itself"

I asked them why then cannot the boards be made of the same plastic?

This was ANOTHER of my questions that they 'did not have time to answer'

If you want a laugh aske them about REC2s in plastic housings.....

There are two official answers......

A) if the DNO fitted it then it is ok as it is for their use and NOT the use of the consumer so BS 7671 AMD3 yahda yhas does not apply

B) if the customer has had it fitted then it is for the CUSTOMERS use. And BS7671 DOES apply

I know what I will ( or will not ) be doing

Torquing terminals is fine if you have controlled all of the variables and allowed for these in your design.

This has not been done.

It cannot be done.

Thus, another ill thought out requirement.

i have a torque screwdriver but never use it, simply becuase when i did, it was correct to require specifications, yet the cables fell out with very little movement...

The NICEIC have stated on the Webinar...."...MCBs are made of a type of plastic that does not burn...but if it does it extinguishes itself"

I asked them why then cannot the boards be made of the same plastic?

This was ANOTHER of my questions that they 'did not have time to answer'

If you want a laugh aske them about REC2s in plastic housings.....

There are two official answers......

A) if the DNO fitted it then it is ok as it is for their use and NOT the use of the consumer so BS 7671 AMD3 yahda yhas does not apply

B) if the customer has had it fitted then it is for the CUSTOMERS use. And BS7671 DOES apply

I know what I will ( or will not ) be doing
I like that about the REC2's     but don't stop there ...those plastic meters could burst into flames at any moment ...AND  DON'T GET ME STARTED ON THE PLASTIC CUT-OUTS  !!! 

Just back to my OP  ...do I read the Reg. correctly ?  Metal consumer units only apply to Domestic (Household) premises ?

So the solicitor's offices  board change shortly will be a plastic jobby .   Comercial premises and all that .   I',m thinking shops , offices . small commercial units etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its about as stupid as when "Cross Bonding "  as  we called it , was first built into the designs  , well OTT .    ( Supplementary bonding )

Real true life examples :-   

1)  Every T bar on a suspended ceiling including the trims ,  cross bonded with 6mm  G/Y .

2)  Steel window frames .

3)  The flimsy foil covering lagging on boiler room pipes.

4)  (Best of all)   The aluminium half cup that supports a floor mounted rubber door stop .  ( 4mm pops up out the floor & lugged onto it .)  

apparently not. they must be made differently
Weeeeeellllll  then ......... how about we used those boards for domestic then .......or are we just taking the Peee now ?

Its about as stupid as when "Cross Bonding "  as  we called it , was first built into the designs  , well OTT .    ( Supplementary bonding )

Real true life examples :-   

1)  Every T bar on a suspended ceiling including the trims ,  cross bonded with 6mm  G/Y .

2)  Steel window frames .

3)  The flimsy foil covering lagging on boiler room pipes.

4)  (Best of all)   The aluminium half cup that supports a floor mounted rubber door stop .  ( 4mm pops up out the floor & lugged onto it .)  

Weeeeeellllll  then ......... how about we used those boards for domestic then .......or are we just taking the Peee now ?
I'll mention a certain name and then run like the wind .... D.W.Cockburn...

Im sure you guys on this forum are aware of his work also...

We had. Scots spark worked for us years ago......insisted on putting a bit of 4mm and two yellow lugs across joins in metal capping. A Clerk of Works in some Scots ghetto refurb told him it had to be done!

Bondidng of SS kitchen sinks!....FFS some of them had the Earth Tag GLUED onto the worktop!

When i did my XVth the suggested DRIILING the bottom flange of a rad to fit a M4 and an earth wire!!!

Seen a job where there is a 6mm bond across the autofill cistern on the urinals

Just saying

Did he not write a book that was utter rubbish about earthing? Pretty sure we mentioned it on the forum 2 or 3 years back.

Mark how did you have the misfortune to come across this?

It'll be interesting to see if all the DIY sheds only sell metal boards from now on? Seeing as plastic is still permitted in areas other than domestic, plastic boards should be obsolete to the sheds, might be a chance for a few cheap purchases for those commercial jobs?

We had. Scots spark worked for us years ago......insisted on putting a bit of 4mm and two yellow lugs across joins in metal capping. A Clerk of Works in some Scots ghetto refurb told him it had to be done!

Bondidng of SS kitchen sinks!....FFS some of them had the Earth Tag GLUED onto the worktop!

When i did my XVth the suggested DRIILING the bottom flange of a rad to fit a M4 and an earth wire!!!

Seen a job where there is a 6mm bond across the autofill cistern on the urinals

Just saying
That was part of the Birmingham Council Spec. for metal sheathing ...a 2.5 lugged onto the sheathing with a self-tapper. 

On the subject of Metal boards I have been having another look on SBS daves listing at his "metal,nibblers"

I knew I had some somewhere in the rear outer reaches of number 2 shed...lo and behold I found them today when they fell on my foot whilst searching for something els.

They are almost antiques as they have the old 4 digit area code as part of my phone number engraved on them, and that changed in 1995!!........yes, i do engrave my name and phone number on stuff to this day...wife was non too impressed !

Nibblers from RS...made in France

So that is even more money saved....thanks to the LFB