Metal Consumer Units ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WTF are nibblers,?  

WTF are nibblers,?  
28.jpg

IMG_1987.PNG

I was going to offer them for sale, but I couldn't buy them Wholesale.

They are a brilliant piece of kit for cutting metal boxes.

SBS Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
On the subject of torque settings for terminals...

I had a new 3 phase supply installed. The loop impedance for one phase was vastly worse than the other two. Turned out that the DNO had presumably forgotten to do the terminals on the service cable side of the cutout up properly. When they came to sort it the DNO chap said that "we are supposed to do them up with the torque screwdriver they gave us, but it is nowhere near tight enough and we see this sort of thing and burnouts all the time. Now we just do them up!! If we got caught though we would be sacked...."

john..

Last edited by a moderator:
Cage terminals.....work of the devil!

I have seen Vicar's handshakes with more grip than a "correctly torqued cage terminal,"

Years ago i started to flatten out the strands on the tails before putting them into the terminal....far better

Just remember, when you think you have finished, have a quick "wiggle and a tug"......you know it makes sense and for a happy ending

No offence

Cage terminals.....work of the devil!

I have seen Vicar's handshakes with more grip than a "correctly torqued cage terminal,"

Years ago i started to flatten out the strands on the tails before putting them into the terminal....far better

Just remember, when you think you have finished, have a quick "wiggle and a tug"......you know it makes sense and for a happy ending

No offence

I have the exact same nibblers in my garage somewhere as well.  I dont think they will work on the thicker metal though. I used to use them doing damaged repairable cars, back in the day.  I have a 240v one somewhere as well about the size and shape of a jigsaw.