Metal Vs plastic back boxes, and fires.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Today I've been refurbishing a house that's just been bought as a buy to let.

As part of the inspection, the first three light switches I unscrewed had loose connections. In one case two of the three screws were lying in the bottom of the back box. That rapidly convinced me 100% inspection was needed.

The same was true of the sockets many having loose connections and one had a floating neutral that never made it into the terminal thus breaking the ring.

The common theme is all the duff connections are in "posh" fittings, clearly replaced at some point. The few remaining old white accessories were perfectly terminated.

So Mr DIY has done a poor job and it must have been like this for some time.

Then I got to thiking. It's alright, because theya re all in metal back boxes, so if there was a fire, it would be contained.

I wonder how long before LFB notice this and ban the use of plastic fast fix back boxes?

Yes I used the metal fast fix boxes from TLC once. The lugs that clip behind the plasterboard had a habit of falling apart before you got the box in and were a PITA to re assemble.

Today I've been refurbishing a house that's just been bought as a buy to let.

As part of the inspection, the first three light switches I unscrewed had loose connections. In one case two of the three screws were lying in the bottom of the back box. That rapidly convinced me 100% inspection was needed.

The same was true of the sockets many having loose connections and one had a floating neutral that never made it into the terminal thus breaking the ring.

The common theme is all the duff connections are in "posh" fittings, clearly replaced at some point. The few remaining old white accessories were perfectly terminated.

So Mr DIY has done a poor job and it must have been like this for some time.

Then I got to thiking. It's alright, because theya re all in metal back boxes, so if there was a fire, it would be contained.

I wonder how long before LFB notice this and ban the use of plastic fast fix back boxes?

AFDD’s will solve all problems you encounted today. No need to involve the LFB the IET have got the scent of money in their nostrils.

Last edited by a moderator:
AFDD's   ?  :C

Yes  stand by for a ban on  moulded pattresses,  junction boxes , mini- trunking ...   PVC conduit  ....and all the PVC insulation on cables !!!!   It,s frightening....just waiting to burst into flames.

AFDD's   ?  :C

Yes  stand by for a ban on  moulded pattresses,  junction boxes , mini- trunking ...   PVC conduit  ....and all the PVC insulation on cables !!!!   It,s frightening....just waiting to burst into flames.
Surely someone could come up with some form of copper clad cable with a mineral insulation inside,

Mmmmmm, might be one for dragons den methinks,,,,,, 

Surely someone could come up with some form of copper clad cable with a mineral insulation inside,

Mmmmmm, might be one for dragons den methinks,,,,,, 
But it will have to have coloured cores this time. None of this 2 or 3 conductors all the same colour when you cut the end, Mr DIY would never manage that.

MICC_zpstmpvcbj3.jpg.7c55ec4ed9b8a92e7b40d669c65b05c8.jpg

One drawback, if the end isn’t made off properly you could get a parallel arc so you will still need a grossly over priced AFDD.