Minimalist toolkit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Sworld

Electrical Technician
Reaction score
As some of you know I'm off the the French Alps next week. :D

However as I'm going there on a plane then what would you recommend as the most minimal (and lightest) toolkit to take?

I will not be taking any power tools (they are there already) and the tester itself will be in hand luggage (with the sharp probes in the hold! X( )

The job is to move some sockets and install some new ones in a new kitchen. French electrics is all singles and plastic conduit.

Thanks in advance my friends. :)

Arhhh those good old working holidays :p

Leave us minimalists alone ;)

so the apprentice is out of the question then .

screwdrivers

side cuts

hacksaw

knife

hammer

tape

level

pliers

grips

the above is the minimum but most of that stuff should be there already so I would only take my

screwdrivers

side cuts

re-threading tool

so the apprentice is out of the question then .screwdrivers

side cuts

hacksaw

knife

hammer

tape

level

pliers

grips

the above is the minimum but most of that stuff should be there already so I would only take my

screwdrivers

side cuts

re-threading tool
leave out the sidecutters and take your pliers instead, more versatile.

and a good working neon :^O

so the apprentice is out of the question then .screwdrivers

side cuts

hacksaw

knife

hammer

tape

level

pliers

grips

screwdrivers

side cuts

re-threading tool
French elecrical accessory,s would fall apart if you tried to use a retheading tool,

All you will need is your cable mouse (souris) as the french would say) and leave your tester at home nobody worries about the testing of anything over there!! :eek:

good point about the re-threading tool
Thanks chegs i lived there for 5 years and i never found anything electrical that looked like it would last more than six months,however legrand do some good stuff here. Odd really! :D

Thanks chegs i lived there for 5 years and i never found anything electrical that looked like it would last more than six months,however legrand do some good stuff here. Odd really! :D
maybe you/your landlord were getting the french version of the albanians to do the work!!!!

I really really REALLY fail to understand why the English feel the need to **** off every other countries electrical practices when they are slowly slowly starting to go to the safer way of installations.(the english that is!)

European methods of wiring are by far the safer of English ones on the whole.

a 2.5 cable protected ny a 32a MCB, ring or not is not an arguement! so mark it down as a code 1 on all your future PIR, thats harmonisation for you!!!!!

England needs to try keep up and stay safe, instead of living in the dark ages and being stuck up its own ****.!

French elecrical accessory,s would fall apart if you tried to use a retheading tool, All you will need is your cable mouse (souris) as the french would say) and leave your tester at home nobody worries about the testing of anything over there!! :eek:
Yes. I'm aware that the French only worry about test certs on new builds or complete re-wires! A lot less regulated than over here. ;) However I would like to be sure myself that the jobs wired correctly. :)

I've found a English translation of L'Installation Electrique on the web which has been well handy! :D

The question is really how much I can hide the conduit as it's an apartment block of flats; so a lot of the walls are concrete and I'm not about to start channeling into them. :(

maybe you/your landlord were getting the french version of the albanians to do the work!!!!I really really REALLY fail to understand why the English feel the need to **** off every other countries electrical practices when they are slowly slowly starting to go to the safer way of installations.(the english that is!)

European methods of wiring are by far the safer of English ones on the whole.

a 2.5 cable protected ny a 32a MCB, ring or not is not an arguement! so mark it down as a code 1 on all your future PIR, thats harmonisation for you!!!!!

England needs to try keep up and stay safe, instead of living in the dark ages and being stuck up its own ****.!
I talk from experience so a ****ing it will be do me a favour and go there and work with some of there gear and come back and tell me you think its great.

I will eat your hat then. Its the accessorys i am ****ging not their safety and wiring practises. :x

I talk from experience so a ****ing it will be do me a favour and go there and work with some of there gear and come back and tell me you think its great.I will eat your hat then. Its the accessorys i am ****ging not their safety and wiring practises. :x
without getting full on here,

Ive work all over Europe and Oceania for past 15 years up until last April,(thats why I never held a 16th) and I can tell you without any problems that half the problem is the English/UK attitude to pushing blame!

yep, a lot of the stuff is crap, so is a lot of the UK stuff, remember the influx of uk cable about 10/15 yrs ago with NO french chalk and it was a **** to strip?!

lots and lots of UK stuff is ****, just that anyone decent that knows their stuff wont go near it, bit like knowing what your using in other countries too, know your stuff and you'll be fine.

dont **** off local gear to cover your own lack of knowledge!

makes me wonder where most of our quality gear comes from, it sure aint UK manufactured.

without getting full on here,Ive work all over Europe and Oceania for past 15 years up until last April,(thats why I never held a 16th) and I can tell you without any problems that half the problem is the English/UK attitude to pushing blame!

yep, a lot of the stuff is crap, so is a lot of the UK stuff, remember the influx of uk cable about 10/15 yrs ago with NO french chalk and it was a **** to strip?!

lots and lots of UK stuff is ****, just that anyone decent that knows their stuff wont go near it, bit like knowing what your using in other countries too, know your stuff and you'll be fine.

dont **** off local gear to cover your own lack of knowledge!

makes me wonder where most of our quality gear comes from, it sure aint UK manufactured.
Could hardly be a lack of knowledge i lived and worked there, you cannot tell me a french socket outlet is any where near to quality of an english one MK springs to mind:p

Could hardly be a lack of knowledge i lived and worked there, you cannot tell me a french socket outlet is any where near to quality of an english one MK springs to mind:p
to be honest buddy,

and its really only a preference of mine,

I wouldnt go near MK with a big stick, they are living on a past reputation,

loads of the stuff now is utter tat, over rated IMHO.

I would put MG or Hager above the quality of MK any day.

I know lots of UK stuff is really good, I just think on the whole maybe its not quite there, hopefully with the new harmonisation it will help level it all out.

another thing tpo bear in mind, that although something is 'made' in a certain country, a lot of it is actually manufactured in the far east and such like,

its really only assembled in the UK (or wherever).

for example, I done a concrete pre-fab house a couple of years ago,

for sure it was built in England, but it was actually manufactured in Ireland, then shipped here to be assembled.

Some of MK goods are not what they used to be. :( I prfered the chamfered s/o too.

Latest posts