minor works testing

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you an employee or self emplyed?  YOU supplying the materials doers not sound right if you are employed.

No RCD tester, what none in the whole company? never.

So you are going to leave the circuit locked out until tested. Good for you, the complaints from the customer might kick your employer into doing something.
thanks dave

By supply i mean purchase the water via company purchase card, yes im employed not working for myself.

no RCD tester at all, my company does not test at all, we get outside contractors to test any new installs we do (this comes under a different job type than maintenance and is treat differently)

yes, ill have to do this, as i feel the circuit can not be guaranteed safe without testing. (im happy to do as i said above and test zs, polarity and RCD and make sure all earthing and bonding is correct, then full range of tests from spur to appliance and sign off BUT i dont have the equipment so im stuck)

no RCD tester at all, my company does not test at all, we get outside contractors to test any new installs we do (this comes under a different job type than maintenance and is treat differently)
I'm truly shocked by that. I know a lot of firms only have one electrician in the company to do testing, but NONE and get a different company in is taking the biscuit.

My honest advice is stay there just long enough to get some experience and then move on to a decent company.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not, had an interesting conversation the other day with a guy testing for a big company who bid £3.60 and normally works on £6 per circuit, 70 ccts in 1 day (only 10  actually get tested -lim lim lim lim lim lim....)

Actually this guys employer is correct, swapping appliances or accessories is maintenance and requires no testing what so ever, or any certs. Think the idea is that a broken socket is more of a risk than replacing a broken socket badly....

in the REAL world , say at industrial premises, you can't go isolating boards & shutting down half the factory while you pull a fuse  etc.  
:Blushing  Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh that'll have been me then.........................except it was the Fire headquarters site....over the radio the boss man said pull the big leaver to isolate the control building & put it into alternate supply.

It would seem pulling the bigger leaver shuts down the whole site, on a Friday at 11:30 there were some unhappy bunnies who hadn't saved what they were doing on the network  :pmsl1:  on the upside the alternate supply did work for the control building.

Actually this guys employer is correct, swapping appliances or accessories is maintenance and requires no testing what so ever, or any certs.

exactly. I often do a Zs test, but since im not altering the installation, there is no need to do a full set of tests & certificates etc. can turn a quick 10 minute job into 30 minutes...