Multiple Ovens In A Domestic Kitchen - Diversity

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike634949

Reaction score
Hi all.

i recently asked this on a screwfix forum, but unfortunately only got one response. With due gratitude to that person I wondered if there were any other opinions?

I am considering the electrical and builders work implications of a domestic kitchen refurb which is presently in the planning. I have limited space for expansion in the consumer unit so need to keep this in mind. The kitchen will have a ring main for countertop sockets. Additionally I anticipate a 32A 6mm2 T&E radial to the 7.5kW induction hob.

Under the countertop is arranged two single multifunction ovens (3kW + 3.5kW) and two compact multifunction ovens (combi steam and combi micro (3kW + 3kW). The manufacturers info states minimum 16A fuse connection on each appliance. The ovens are arranged horizontally side by side in a group. With diversity in mind is there are reason why the four ovens should not share a single 32A 6mm2 radial with single above counter DP switch continuing with a drop to four individual connection units behind the four appliances? Thanks in anticipation

why so many / how many do you plan on using at the same time?

another possibility may be to run 3 from one supply and the other from the hob supply, or a 3rd radial and have 2 on each

Hi all.

i recently asked this on a screwfix forum, but unfortunately only got one response. With due gratitude to that person I wondered if there were any other opinions?

I am considering the electrical and builders work implications of a domestic kitchen refurb which is presently in the planning. I have limited space for expansion in the consumer unit so need to keep this in mind. The kitchen will have a ring main for countertop sockets. Additionally I anticipate a 32A 6mm2 T&E radial to the 7.5kW induction hob.

Under the countertop is arranged two single multifunction ovens (3kW + 3.5kW) and two compact multifunction ovens (combi steam and combi micro (3kW + 3kW). The manufacturers info states minimum 16A fuse connection on each appliance. The ovens are arranged horizontally side by side in a group. With diversity in mind is there are reason why the four ovens should not share a single 32A 6mm2 radial with single above counter DP switch continuing with a drop to four individual connection units behind the four appliances? Thanks in anticipation
This senario is really common now. There is another thread with a very similar question at the mo. I mucked up recently but after consulting the client put the micro/oven on a 13a plug . Both our thinking was the micro was never going to be used full blast.

I,would,like to,see a 16 a connection unit they only seem to exist in the minds of the manufacturers
GEW_gw66004.jpg

People are going for 4 ovens as they get the square look.
Some of my customers have a separate oven/grill,for roasting and grilling only. Saves mucking up,any other ovens apparently

Yeah but no, but yeah but no, but

I meant domestic style and with OCPD on board.....like a 16 A switched fuse spur!

Sorry,,my mistake..as penance I will,NOT watch RR on TV today at all!....no repears, no recordings NOWT

The classic kitchen refurb. They can afford a nice new £10k kitchen but a £250 CU upgrade is out of the question.

Well to give the op advice I would say find the money for a CU upgrade and pull I'm 3 X 32A radial circuits for the cooking equipment. Yeah you could make it work as far as diversity is concerned but the money involved in your new kitchen will be spoiled if on Xmas day it keeps tripping. It would really be a nothing cost in comparison to the cost of your kitchen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of my customers have a separate oven/grill,for roasting and grilling only. Saves mucking up,any other ovens apparently

Yeah but no, but yeah but no, but

I meant domestic style and with OCPD on board.....like a 16 A switched fuse spur!

Sorry,,my mistake..as penance I will,NOT watch RR on TV today at all!....no repears, no recordings NOWT
Not even slow motion  ?

Thanks to all who contributed suggestions above. Much appreciated

The concensus certainly seems to favour two 6mm2 radial for the ovens. My motivation in trying to avoid this if possible is that I alreay have one laid in for the existing kitchen, but a second, if required, would involve a good deal of furniture/furnishings being shifted or lifted in two otherwise unaffected rooms,(I still have one spare mcb in the CU remaining)

Has anyone actually got any experiennce of four ovens on one 32A mcb?

It really sounds like you have made your decision. (Leaving it as 1 X 32A radial) and you will keep searching until you get an answer that matches what you want.

You have a range of experienced sparks here giving you sound advice. Only you can answer if you think fitting 4 ovens but only having the capacity of using a third of what you have purchased at any one time is good enough. Ask the misses and I Am sure she will tell you to pull in another supply. Haha.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts