My consumer unit...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But its not just Wylex all the older boards have live accessible parts thats how they where made. Batty
Indeed, the logic at the time presumably being: "It was on? And you still stuck your fingers in it??"

ROTFWL

Have you managed to find a spark that can do it for you now, Mate?

Have you managed to find a spark that can do it for you now, Mate?
Nope, got a couple of tentative offers though.

Been in the loft since we had the new flue put in and decided that the upstairs needs a rewire anyway... :|

20amps will flow down a 1.0mm forever

it will be hot but it won't melt

its safe at all but it will work

I think I will stop doing consumer unit changes had a pig of a job today. Had open circuit on cpc on ring main so left this circuit till last after taking all the sockets off which was a job as every screw was a nightmare to get undone. Any way after a bit of testing found cable was open circuit between consumer unit and first socket. There was a mirror hanging above consumer unit box, thinking this could be where problem was tested and resistance between cpc a nail was 3.5ohms. So chopped wall out and found nail had gone into cable. Stripped back a bit but cpc was intact. Capping and cable where very black though. Pulled cpc and about 3'' came out so chopped wall further up and found another hole in cable. This time it had been phase to earh and had blown cpc in half. Did a temporary repair and said I would have to come back at a later date as it was 8pm. Maybe it was because its Friday 13th don't you hate days when things go so wrong.

Batty

:(

I think I will stop doing consumer unit changes had a pig of a job today. Had open circuit on cpc on ring main so left this circuit till last after taking all the sockets off which was a job as every screw was a nightmare to get undone. Any way after a bit of testing found cable was open circuit between consumer unit and first socket. There was a mirror hanging above consumer unit box, thinking this could be where problem was tested and resistance between cpc a nail was 3.5ohms. So chopped wall out and found nail had gone into cable. Stripped back a bit but cpc was intact. Capping and cable where very black though. Pulled cpc and about 3'' came out so chopped wall further up and found another hole in cable. This time it had been phase to earh and had blown cpc in half. Did a temporary repair and said I would have to come back at a later date as it was 8pm. Maybe it was because its Friday 13th don't you hate days when things go so wrong.Batty

not nice batty but extra dosh i assume ? so more beer tokens Guinness

Was a rewireable fuse so probably did not break but drives you mad. the lady is 92 and was nearly in tears but reassured her I could sort it out.

Batty

Was a rewireable fuse so probably did not break but drives you mad. the lady is 92 and was nearly in tears but reassured her I could sort it out.Batty
rock and a hard place m8 Pray

I think I will stop doing consumer unit changes had a pig of a job today. Had open circuit on cpc on ring main so left this circuit till last after taking all the sockets off which was a job as every screw was a nightmare to get undone. Any way after a bit of testing found cable was open circuit between consumer unit and first socket. There was a mirror hanging above consumer unit box, thinking this could be where problem was tested and resistance between cpc a nail was 3.5ohms. So chopped wall out and found nail had gone into cable. Stripped back a bit but cpc was intact. Capping and cable where very black though. Pulled cpc and about 3'' came out so chopped wall further up and found another hole in cable. This time it had been phase to earh and had blown cpc in half. Did a temporary repair and said I would have to come back at a later date as it was 8pm. Maybe it was because its Friday 13th don't you hate days when things go so wrong.Batty

Got called to a job on sat night. Lights tripped. Found the fault, a screw through the cable. Never thought of testing continuity to the screw so thanks! Saved a lot of time. Must be a common domestic sparky trick.

Guinness

Got called to a job on sat night. Lights tripped. Found the fault, a screw through the cable. Never thought of testing continuity to the screw so thanks! Saved a lot of time. Must be a common domestic sparky trick. Guinness
Hats off to the man that came up with that one.

Wander lead, check all picture hooks, nails screws. Happy DaysGuinness

Got called to a job on sat night. Lights tripped. Found the fault, a screw through the cable. Never thought of testing continuity to the screw so thanks! Saved a lot of time. Must be a common domestic sparky trick. Guinness
We all learn something thats part of life I have learned a lot from other sparks over the years although some of it maybe not so good.

Batty

Latest posts