N-E Issue

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dambo

Reaction score
Hi,

Just after a bit of advice regarding a N-E issue i've come across.

I've been working on a job where the customer would like all their sockets and switches replacing, amongst other things. When coming to do this on a hallway socket upstairs (an unfused spur) i've plugged in my socket tester and it shows there is no E present. I've taken off the faceplate and the E is there, securely connected. I've tried to trace the cable to find where the issue may be originating from but it disappears under a soild wood floor in the bedroom. I've then decided to connect the earth in the hallway socket to a nearby cable for a bedroom socket (Just the E) but when i've done this and plugged my socket tester into the hallway socket it's now showing both the E and the N aren't present. I've obviously checked and double checked all the connections are they are fine, and when I disconnect the E again the socket tester is again only showing the E not being present in the hallway socket. Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing this?

Thanks very much in advance.

You want some proper testing.

Measure R1, R2 and Rn individually using the wander lead method. That will determine without a doubt what is what.

Is this just a single cable at the spur?  i.e it's not part of a ring final directly.  If so you need to determine where the spur originates from and fix the fault, but that could well be a junction box now firmly inaccessible under that new solid wood floor.

If you can't find the fault, personally I would abandon and make safe that cable, and route a new feed to that socket from an accessible point that tests good. I would not be happy having a "borrowed earth" to "fix" it.

Thanks for the reply ProDave. It is a single cable spur. I agree, I think running a new cable from the nearby socket and making safe the current cable is the best option. I'm curious what's causing the fault though so I'm going to investigate further. Thanks.