Need help with new consumer unit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, I have just bought my first house and it needs to be completely re-wired. It’s an ex council maisonette and the consumer unit is recessed into the wall in a metal box. I don’t really want to move the consumer unit, I would like to just replace it. I have attached photos of the dimensions of the area. I reckon I would need 7 or 8 circuits. Please advise if there is a suitable consumer unit for this space.

Below are links to the images of the existing consumer unit:

https://ibb.co/kHTmjhB
https://ibb.co/1MsVjzF
https://ibb.co/ySfV9LY

If you are thinking of a rewire then you will need to call upon the services of a qualified spark, who will assist with meeting your requirements. 
the board you have is replaceable with a modern newer version. 

If you are in England or Wales, (Scottish rules & reg's are a bit different)...

to change a Consumer unit will not only require compliance with BS7671 (wiring regulations)..

But also Part-P building regulations..

The question you need to ask is what circuits does the property currently have...

And what circuits does it still need..

And what circuits will it need in the potential lifespan you intend living there?

These are "Some" of the factors that will define the type and size of consumer unit you need...

Just replacing a "like-for-like" spec fuse board for a new CU is not normally a sensible approach.

Best get two to three electricians in to assess what's-what.. and give you some prices to compare.

Guinness

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum, I will add that your current arrangement only provides overload protection. Any upgrade will need to also provide shock protection. I would very strongly recommend individual RCBO's per circuit, not one or two RCD's protecting multiple circuits.

Doc H.

That is what as known as a Clifton/Mantel unit and replacements are available from Wylex however they can be notoriously difficult to replace. As others have stated get an electrician involved if you are considering a rewire and/or replacement of the unit. 

I would start by getting an EICR done (Electrical Installation Condition Report)  That will tell you what needs to be done.

We all agree the CU needs upgrading and because of it's type it is not a trivial job.  But the rest of the wiring?  I doubt it.

A flat poses lots of issues for a full rewire, e.g you can't just nip upstairs and take up floorboards to give you access, so if it needs a full rewire it is likely to be more disruptive to the building than most rewires.  My gut feeling is it would need a new CU some earth bonding upgrading and perhaps some repairs but I would be very surprised if all the cable was at end of life and it really needed a full rewire.  But of  course I am not there so could be wrong.

Hello, I have just bought my first house and it needs to be completely re-wired. It’s an ex council maisonette and the consumer unit is recessed into the wall in a metal box. I don’t really want to move the consumer unit, I would like to just replace it. I have attached photos of the dimensions of the area. I reckon I would need 7 or 8 circuits. Please advise if there is a suitable consumer unit for this space.

you may well find that it’s wired in singles , with steel conduit for the earths and then changes and improvements can turn in to a complete night mare

how old is the property and did you have an electrical inspection before you bought it?

Welcome to the forum, I will add that your current arrangement only provides overload protection. Any upgrade will need to also provide shock protection. I would very strongly recommend individual RCBO's per circuit, not one or two RCD's protecting multiple circuits.

Doc H.
The current set-up provides overcurrent and fault protection as required to satisfy ADS. What it does not provide is additional protection. 

To add to the above this is assuming disconnection times are met and the earthing system permit the existing protective devices without an rcd for fault protection. 

If you are thinking of a rewire then you will need to call upon the services of a qualified spark, who will assist with meeting your requirements. 
the board you have is replaceable with a modern newer version. 
Hello Sharpend, I will definitely call in a qualified electrician. I am trying to do some homework beforehand 

The current set-up provides overcurrent and fault protection as required to satisfy ADS. What it does not provide is additional protection. 

To add to the above this is assuming disconnection times are met and the earthing system permit the existing protective devices without an rcd for fault protection. 

I am not convinced that the OP would actually fully grasp the meaning of these terms. You appear to miss the point that this forum is not just a discussion board for persons with formal training, experience or qualifications. And possibly you are unable to understand or discuss anything other than by technical definitions, lacking the ability to perceive what phrases or terminology the person asking the question may or may not understand. To explain this in a way you should be familiar with "Jamesneedshelp" is an 'Ordinary person', (top of page 34). i.e. neither skilled nor instructed.  So abreviations such as ADS may as well be DHL, ITV,  BMW etc..   And Additional protection may as well be referring to devices used to prevent unwanted pregnancy during times of intimacy.

Hence my comments relating to more the common understanding the average person has about their electrical supply. i.e. overloading circuits and getting an electric shock.  I doubt many of our members get customers ringing up saying they think their disconnection times are a bit too long, or that their additional protection has failed. And they never call the bit of wire that has come out of the faulty light switch, a Line or Phase conductor. its all just Lives & Neutrals to Ordinary persons. Rather than just playing technical top trumps, which achieves very little, sometimes it is better to just try and answer the original posters question, in a way they can understand.   

Doc H.

Further to the above: The property was built in the 1950s. It's a two-story maisonette with a timber joist and I have access to the loft space. The property is vacant and I have ripped out all the carpet and am able to take up parts of the original timber floor. The ceilings will all be re-plasterboarded and skimmed so I am not concerned about making holes. The property is in Putney vale 

you may well find that it’s wired in singles , with steel conduit for the earths and then changes and improvements can turn in to a complete night mare

how old is the property and did you have an electrical inspection before you bought it?
Good afternoon Murdoch, the property was built in the 1950s. Unfortunately, I did not have an electrical inspection before I brought the property 

I would start by getting an EICR done (Electrical Installation Condition Report)  That will tell you what needs to be done.

We all agree the CU needs upgrading and because of it's type it is not a trivial job.  But the rest of the wiring?  I doubt it.

A flat poses lots of issues for a full rewire, e.g you can't just nip upstairs and take up floorboards to give you access, so if it needs a full rewire it is likely to be more disruptive to the building than most rewires.  My gut feeling is it would need a new CU some earth bonding upgrading and perhaps some repairs but I would be very surprised if all the cable was at end of life and it really needed a full rewire.  But of  course I am not there so could be wrong.
Good afternoon ProDave, everything in the property other than the bathroom has been gutted out. The property is a maisonette, there are timber joists between the floors and I have access to the loft. I would prefer to rewire the whole property now so I do not have to worry about anything going wrong 5 years down the line when I have all my furniture in place. I was hoping someone could recommend a new consumer unit that would fit in this space 

If you are in England or Wales, (Scottish rules & reg's are a bit different)...

to change a Consumer unit will not only require compliance with BS7671 (wiring regulations)..

But also Part-P building regulations..

The question you need to ask is what circuits does the property currently have...

And what circuits does it still need..

And what circuits will it need in the potential lifespan you intend living there?

These are "Some" of the factors that will define the type and size of consumer unit you need...

Just replacing a "like-for-like" spec fuse board for a new CU is not normally a sensible approach.

Best get two to three electricians in to assess what's-what.. and give you some prices to compare.

Guinness
Good afternoon Special Location, the property is London, England. The property currently has 6 circuits (downstairs lights, upstairs lights, Kitchen sockets, front room sockets, upstairs sockets, cooker). I am completely renovating the property so would like to install new kitchen appliances (with spurs), new lights and sockets throughout the property. 

I am not convinced that the OP would actually fully grasp the meaning of these terms. You appear to miss the point that this forum is not just a discussion board for persons with formal training, experience or qualifications. And possibly you are unable to understand or discuss anything other than by technical definitions, lacking the ability to perceive what phrases or terminology the person asking the question may or may not understand. To explain this in a way you should be familiar with "Jamesneedshelp" is an 'Ordinary person', (top of page 34). i.e. neither skilled nor instructed.  So abreviations such as ADS may as well be DHL, ITV,  BMW etc..   And Additional protection may as well be referring to devices used to prevent unwanted pregnancy during times of intimacy.

Hence my comments relating to more the common understanding the average person has about their electrical supply. i.e. overloading circuits and getting an electric shock.  I doubt many of our members get customers ringing up saying they think their disconnection times are a bit too long, or that their additional protection has failed. And they never call the bit of wire that has come out of the faulty light switch, a Line or Phase conductor. its all just Lives & Neutrals to Ordinary persons. Rather than just playing technical top trumps, which achieves very little, sometimes it is better to just try and answer the original posters question, in a way they can understand.   

Doc H.
My first post to this thread gave a direct answer to the OPs query. 

Good afternoon ProDave, everything in the property other than the bathroom has been gutted out. The property is a maisonette, there are timber joists between the floors and I have access to the loft. I would prefer to rewire the whole property now so I do not have to worry about anything going wrong 5 years down the line when I have all my furniture in place. I was hoping someone could recommend a new consumer unit that would fit in this space 
Thanks for the extra information.  With that level of refurbishment happening and clarification about access then I would be doing a full rewire wile you have the chance to do it easily.

This is also a chance to fit a new, conventional CU on the wall above the existing one and blank off the space used by the old one, rather than have to buy something awkward and expensive to fit a particular space.

Latest posts