nest wifi stat

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hxsarge

Reaction score
been asked by a customer to install 5 nest thermostats, bought in the us at a tech show to control separate zone valves (Nest | The Learning Thermostat | Home) as far as i can see they are 24v. theres a decent looking iphone app to control it.

at the moment there are 3cores to the current stat positions from the wiring center, im going to have to get a transformer to power them.

anyone else seen/installed them over here? they seem pretty impressive at first glance.

ill try and get some pics up after install. i have installed the wifi heatmiser before at my house which is a similar sort of thing without the "learning bit."

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 23:34 ---------- Previous post was made at 23:32 ----------

oh and some relays to switch the valves, going to end up with little panel in there

You will need a LOT more than just a transformer.

What you have at the moment is a 3 core cable with L, N and switched L out, all switching mains voltage to a conventional system.

This networked system (I haven't looked in detail yet, that's a HORRIBLE processor hungry website that crashes my browser)

So without seeing the details, is it a system where you network a number of thermostats over ONE network cable, and then it all connects to a dedicated control box that then probably provides relay contact outputs?

Whatever, I suspect you have a LOT of rewiring to do. I doubt you will be able to just swap each thermostat for the nest, even with a transformer.

no its wireless on the networking side. its made to be a straight swap for a 24v stat which i believe is the norm in the states, ive watched the install video on the website, and it looks as-though all you need is a 24v feed, ground and sw wire. so i was thinking of a transformer in a panel and a set of 5 24v relays to switch valves through the wiring center. so i could in theory use the separate 3 cores, sending a 24v feed and ground down 2 cores and a 24v switch wire back to a relay to control the mains. if i was installing from scratch then obviously i could use a cat5 or 2 to daisy chain them together and just bring back a set of switch wires, but at the moment its not possible to rewire. ive got to give her a quote for this tomorrow! hunting down prices on a friday is not fun... btw she bought these stats for 250 dollers each!! thats 1250 dollers! lot of money for a bit of fun gadget!

Hello HXSarge, did you have any luck with the nest installation. I am looking for someone to assist me with installing a nest thermostat.

no, she more or less dropped dead when i gave her the quote... i dont see why the above wouldent work though. some people are tight beyond imagination. 1200 quid for the gear but when i tell her its gonna be a few hundred she freaks. dont know what she did with them either, unless dodgy bob from the pub gave her a cheeper price. i wouldent have minded one for my house to be honest.

Latest posts