Never Saw One Of These...help!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the doctor

Part P Doctor ™
Reaction score
Hello all,

I attended a shower fault the other evening. The house had two showers off one supply on a relay. One of the components was....... All I can do is describe it here as I have never seen one.

Looks like a din rail mounted relay with a couple of auxiliary contacts.

The unit was marked 7-39A.

When the shower was turned on that was supplied through the unit the auxiliary terminals went open circuit.

It looks like some sort of reed switch that is triggered by the current passing through it

I have been on many jobs my whole life and feel humbled by this one. When I figured out howit was wired I seen it was simple yet clever!

Can the forum tell me, what it is called and where would you use them

Cheers

I have a remote control Triton Body Dryer that sits in the ceiling. 8.something kW. That has a built in "priority switch" for if you supply the shower and dryer off the same breaker as in it's one or the other on at a time. (Not actually wired like that as the shower is pumped not electric).

It is definitely a priority switch, we fit them all the time, not for showers but for essential equipment.