New member. Newb question.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dozer51

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm a handyman who is occasionally asked to perform tasks that involve (very) minor electrical work.
I have a customer who wants me to mount a TV and run the cables, including the power, behind a stud wall and out through the skirting board.
Is this advisable, both in terms of safety, and regulations?

Many thanks

As you are doing this for payment...and not DIY,,,, then there are a few questions that you might want to think about

a) are you competent?
b) do you have any test equipment to prove that the work that you do is safe?
c) does your insurance cover you for electrical work?

Hi,
Yes, I'm doing this professionally.
a) Yes.
b) I have no testing equipment.
I'm being asked to make a hole in plasterboard behind the TV mounting bracket, and another at the foot of the wall, just above the skirting board, then feeding the power cable that is supplied with the TV behind the wall to hide it.
Does this require testing?
c) I am only insured for work that I am permitted to carry out. If doing this with a TV power cable is against regulations, my insurance would be void.

In my opinion, if you are using the power cable supplied with the TV I think you can argue that you are not carrying out electrical work.
It's plugged in and I don't think it becomes part of the house installation just because its going to be hidden in a wall.. Aerial, and video signal leads are of no concern.
I would expect your greatest problem is likely to be a horizontal noggin across the cavity you are planning to drop the leads down. If that problem leads to the more common solution of installing an additional socket high on the wall then that's an electrician's job.

In my opinion, if you are using the power cable supplied with the TV I think you can argue that you are not carrying out electrical work.
It's plugged in and I don't think it becomes part of the house installation just because its going to be hidden in a wall.. Aerial, and video signal leads are of no concern.
I would expect your greatest problem is likely to be a horizontal noggin across the cavity you are planning to drop the leads down. If that problem leads to the more common solution of installing an additional socket high on the wall then that's an electrician's job.
Thank you.
I have a decent ish stud finder, hopefully that'll find any noggins.

Hi,
Yes, I'm doing this professionally.
a) Yes.
b) I have no testing equipment.
I'm being asked to make a hole in plasterboard behind the TV mounting bracket, and another at the foot of the wall, just above the skirting board, then feeding the power cable that is supplied with the TV behind the wall to hide it.
Does this require testing?
c) I am only insured for work that I am permitted to carry out. If doing this with a TV power cable is against regulations, my insurance would be void.

BS7671, (wiring regulations), covers the fixed wiring supplying power from the consumer unit (AKA fuse box),
to things like sockets, lights, cookers, showers etc...
If you are changing any of this sort of wiring then technically you have changed the characteristics of the installation,
and your alterations would require testing and certifying to verify compliance with BS7671 and thus safety.

If you are replacing a switch/socket/light fitting then, providing you have connected it up correctly and securely,
you have not changed any aspects of the fixed wiring, so the overall installation functionality & safety should not have changed.

If you are adding, amending, repositioning any flexible wiring that connects via a standard 13amp plug socket,
then once again you have not changed any aspects of the fixed wiring, so the overall installation functionality & safety should not have changed.

However a proviso to my last comment would be that stuff plugged in can still be UNSAFE..
e.g. plugging two 4-way extension leads into a double socket in a kitchen..
then connecting; washing machine, dishwasher, kettle, toaster, tumble drier, microwave, coffee machine & bread maker...
would be potentially unsafe if too many appliances were operated simultaneously!
(Some appliances should NOT be connected via an extension lead.)

If the socket the TV plugs into is staying in its original place, and you are just re-routing the TV power flex..
then just get on with it.. No problems, no need for testing, no need for certificates.

Before you do any electrical work, always remember that one day, you may be called to give evidence in a coroners court, HOWEVER, what a difference to have someone come on here because the want to do things properly.. Rare to find people that actually care nowadays...

john