New socket - impossible to meet minimum 350mm from corner requirement

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fifer

Reaction score
Hi - first time poster, just joined. We moved into a new build (Scotland) this year and my wife has decided she'd like a lamp in the hall behind the glazed panel beside the front door. It's right next to the cupboard which houses the consumer unit, but the wall between the outer wall and the cupboard door is just wide enough to fit a single socket (11cm plasterboard between the corner and the edge of the door surround) which makes it impossible to meet the accessibility requirement that all sockets are at least 350mm from an internal corner.

Are there any exceptions/exemptions from this requirement, or would I just be wasting a sparky's time getting them out to look at it? I can't think of any other safe way to get power to that spot for a lamp. See diargam - x is where I'd like the socket, Y is the table lamp location and E is the consumer unit.

Screenshot 2022-11-13 180558.jpg

Incidentally, there are two double sockets above the kitchen worktop and one general double socket in the kitchen which are all less than 350mm from corners - all three are closer to 200mm from their respective corners. Is it something Scottish building control don't police too well, or did the builder just get away with it? They are a major, well regarded building company.

Aye, it is. Given the choice, I'd rather have it than Part P. ;)

"Electrical fixtures - outlets and controls of electrical fixtures and systems should be positioned at least 350mm from any internal corner, projecting wall or similar obstruction and, unless the need for a higher location can be demonstrated, not more than 1.2m above floor level. This would include fixtures such as sockets, switches, fire alarm call points and timer controls or programmers. Within this height range:

• light switches should be positioned at a height of between 900mm and 1.1m above floor level
  • standard switched or unswitched socket outlets and outlets for other services such as telephone or television should be positioned at least 400mm above floor level. Above an obstruction, such as a worktop, fixtures should be at least 150mm above the projecting surface
Where sockets are concealed, such as to the rear of white goods in a kitchen, separate switching should be provided in an accessible position, to allow appliances to be isolated."

https://www.gov.scot/publications/b...7-domestic/4-safety/48-danger-from-accidents/

Aye, it is. Given the choice, I'd rather have it than Part P. ;)

"Electrical fixtures - outlets and controls of electrical fixtures and systems should be positioned at least 350mm from any internal corner, projecting wall or similar obstruction and, unless the need for a higher location can be demonstrated, not more than 1.2m above floor level. This would include fixtures such as sockets, switches, fire alarm call points and timer controls or programmers. Within this height range:

• light switches should be positioned at a height of between 900mm and 1.1m above floor level
  • standard switched or unswitched socket outlets and outlets for other services such as telephone or television should be positioned at least 400mm above floor level. Above an obstruction, such as a worktop, fixtures should be at least 150mm above the projecting surface
Where sockets are concealed, such as to the rear of white goods in a kitchen, separate switching should be provided in an accessible position, to allow appliances to be isolated."

https://www.gov.scot/publications/b...7-domestic/4-safety/48-danger-from-accidents/
The important word there is 'should' isnt it ? If it was mandatory surely it would say 'must' or 'must not' etc?

It is a Scottish building regs distance.

No 1, is the building still subject to BR inspection or has it already been signed off? If signed off, ignore it, nobody is going to look, let alone notice or care.

Alternatively the distances are for "general purpose" sockets. Make it a dedicated function and it is exempt, this is what allows you to have sockets high up a wall dedicated to a wall mounted television.

If not yet signed off but that is iminent, wait until after sign off and fit the socket.

Most self builders end up with a "to do after sign off" list for just this reason.

Cheers all. It is "should" rather than must, the house has passed building inspection, it's not dangerous and it's my house. So I'll do it with the blessing and permission of you all. :)