New Supply or radial?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi

We had to fit a disconnect and an RCD at the meter as EDF specified this to protect their supply even though the supply is fused. Dont forget the meter is very remote from the points of use 300 and 400+m

The meter RCD is 300/30 as its only function is to protect the mains, all take offs are covered by 30/30 RCDs I will be replacing the meter RCD with a time delay to sort out the priority.

The house is fully protected by the RCD 30/30, overload and isolator in the C/U.

The barn is rarely used now but all the machines were on contactors so would need to be restarted.

Rural living is a bit more complicated at times.

Hi

We had to fit a disconnect and an RCD at the meter as EDF specified this to protect their supply even though the supply is fused. Dont forget the meter is very remote from the points of use 300 and 400+m

The meter RCD is 300/30 as its only function is to protect the mains, all take offs are covered by 30/30 RCDs I will be replacing the meter RCD with a time delay to sort out the priority.

The house is fully protected by the RCD 30/30, overload and isolator in the C/U.

The barn is rarely used now but all the machines were on contactors so would need to be restarted.

Rural living is a bit more complicated at times.
Tell me about it, a lot of my work is around farms, hence me asking some of the questions I did.

if the meter TCD is 300 mA I think I would leave that as it is rather than fit a 100 mA TD. From memory as I haven't got my regs book to hand, 300mA is acceptable for the sub-mains, but obviously once you get into the buildings 30mA is needed. 

I get the idea of dropping th cable size to make running through the building easier, but I think I would rather achieve this with an external meter cabinet and a switch-fuse. The 3m thing applies to meter tails as they do not have an earth incorporated into the cable.

if the meter TCD is 300 mA I think I would leave that as it is rather than fit a 100 mA TD. From memory as I haven't got my regs book to hand, 300mA is acceptable for the sub-mains, but obviously once you get into the buildings 30mA is needed. 

I get the idea of dropping th cable size to make running through the building easier, but I think I would rather achieve this with an external meter cabinet and a switch-fuse. The 3m thing applies to meter tails as they do not have an earth incorporated into the cable.

I'm not going to fit a meter in the dwelling as the barn is rarely used now and.......drum roll,  I wont have to have a 'smart meter'. That will make it all worth while 😎.

Latest posts