NICEIC AND BUILDING CONTROL WOES

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gordy71

Reaction score
Today i have been sorting out my niceic application, filled out the paperwork, copies of liability ins, qualifications etc, and had a think about what 2 jobs i could submit for the assessment. I was told on the phone by nic that building control need to be notified beforehand which is fair enough so rang up central bedfordshire council and was told that it would cost

cant say for others, but when i first joined elecsa, nothing was mentioned about 'has the job been notified to LABC'. so after assessment (and once job was complete) it was notified via elecsa

I can't be any help with your query I'm afraid, just wanted to say that I really feel for you. It seems that the people who don't want to be cowboys have a very hard time. Good luck, I hope you manage not to get too frustrated or poor!

Iv been with Elecsa for a few months , when I had my assessment it was at my own house , and like Andy said , building control was not even mentioned , they have been good so far and have helped out on none domestic work tech questions .

Ste

When I joined; I had 3 domestic jobs - arranged so that I completed them within 1 week of my assessment; I had spoken to NIC & LABC beforehand; and was allowed to have assessment & pass, then notify.

May be worth checking (more an issue with LABC than NIC, TBH; some local authorities are easier to work with than others..........

Hope you get sorted.

KME

I spoke to elecsa and they said the two jobs have to be inspected by the building inspector too? I think, like you say Kme its the LABC that are making my situation awkward. I will try NAPIT tomorrow.

I spoke to elecsa and they said the two jobs have to be inspected by the building inspector too? I think, like you say Kme its the LABC that are making my situation awkward. I will try NAPIT tomorrow.
They told me I could notify mine through them after my assessment...

im with elecsa

he wasnt bothered about building control

all he wanted to know was why i did this/that the other

lets be real

after you have passed your assessment who gives a rats bottom about BC

Surely if you are going to be assessed, the LABC will be notified in anycase. It seems like a money making rip off to me but most of you already know that.

Well, i have done some more research and it looks like NAPIT will best suit me.

Depends which area you live in. If your in the north and get the same NAPIT assessor as me he'll only ask to see 2 jobs If you pass assessment and are accepted for membership you can then notify B.C. Assessor won't even ask.

Elecsa told me to use the job they assessed me on as the job to try out my first self-certification on so I could see what the certificate looked like when the building authority sent it to me.

Which tbh is what I expected to be told even before choosing which one to go for.