notches and galv box lids

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you can buy things made for the purpose but its your call. Maybe some would say bit rough lol maybe not cheers
Its not that mate, I will be mechanically protecting the existing cables whatever the weather. Now if its ok by the regs to put mine in while i'm there I may aswell, but if its not then I wont be. O)

chances of a wholesaler (edmundsons) keeping these instock? Could do with them tomorrow. I suppose the floor could stay up till monday though.
possibly - go in and ask. if they dont have them, they can probably order them

The only time I would put cables over a joist if it was a cottage with 3'' joists. Most houses you should be able to put holes through the joists. Do the job correctly.

Batty

Personally I would never notch a joist either but if the joists are already notched and I'm going to mechanically protect my new cables in with the existing cables then its to the regs and nay problem.

Wholesaler didnt have them instock, but just noticed these, so may take a trip so SF tomorrow.

See Andy's picture, thats how I'd do it if notches are already there, just do it , don't worry about it. Mechanical protection , no probs. Millions of houses like it.
Bang on, if the notches are already there, with the capacity to take your cables, drilling holes next to them makes no sense.

If there is no current route, obviously then it's drilling the joists as per regs.

Sellers, TLC do a better version of those safe plates compared to SF.AndyGuiness Drink
I know they do look a lot better, but its 1-2days delivery and that will be from monday. The first fix will be finnished tomorrow ready for plasterer on monday.

Latest posts