odd ring arrangment

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hello,

changed a cu in a house and one of the ring final is set up as,

ring too an enclosure then mutilpe spurs from this point to sockets this set up is a bodge and i think the best thing to do is treat it as radial and use a 20A mcb which will be adequate for the load. just want to see what you guys think

thanks

You can't class this as a ring, at best it is conductors in parallel

IMHO I'd probably stick it on a 20A MCB and treat it as a radial circuit (I'm assuming the cables are 2.5 T&E????)

I once did a job somewhere here the socket circuit was run as a ring with each socket connected as a spur... WTF????

Last edited by a moderator:
this is similar mate except all from one point, will definatly keep it on the 20A,

on the cert should i not bother with the end to end readings then

I would suspect that there would be no end to end readings if the circuit is as you describe. If there are then yes its a ring, but with multiple spurs.

there are end to end readings 0.10 for the live conductors and 0.26 for the 1mm cpc, small ring mutilple spurs

Have you tested R1+R2 at all socket outlets or is that reading taken at the board?

thats end to end at the board,

R1+R2 ranges from 0.3 to 0.8

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd just do the Zs at the plugs TBH and reduce the breaker to a 20 or if its an MK they do a 25A . Its just the usual carp TBH , don't worry about it , safe enough on a 20A .

I've seen them done as Noz said also , a ring main round the house with a JB in the floor and one cable up to the socket . !! Alright I suppose but whats the point .

The trade never ceases to amaze me , I posted one a few weeks back, went to neighbour's to fit 3 new lights, Twin /Earth but no reading on the earth . Floorboards up to find J/bs on the lighting with T/E , all the earths cut off although connected at the board, and just to finish it off , 6491X down to the switches.

so best thing to do is keep it on the 20 Amp, put the end to end on the cert, and a note in the comments about mutiple spurs from single point

I would personally disconnect one leg so there is no confusion in the future! Therefor no end to end needed, no comment, no confusion for the next sorry bugga who's got to figure it out again when the next pir is up! Replace it with a 20 A as long as the radial passes all tests and the factors are not to silly, jobs a goodun.

done and dusted now,

the circuit is 6 single sockets around the house, none in the kitchen

Glad you did the dusting while you were there keeps customer happy.
when i started out i made a Pledge to do a good job

I'd just do the Zs at the plugs TBH and reduce the breaker to a 20 or if its an MK they do a 25A . Its just the usual carp TBH , don't worry about it , safe enough on a 20A.
As do Hager and probably others.

. I've seen them done as Noz said also , a ring main round the house with a JB in the floor and one cable up to the socket . !! Alright I suppose but whats the point.
Not alright! Regs require that there can only be the same number of spurs as sockets on the ring! No sockets on the ring = no spurs allowed!

As do Hager and probably others.Not alright! Regs require that there can only be the same number of spurs as sockets on the ring! No sockets on the ring = no spurs allowed!
but i have to beg to differ its perfectly safe on a s20 amp trip as the 2.5 can take 26a anyway so wheres the issue only the same as a radial ith 2 spurs from a socket in the middle of the radial circuit