Off Grid multiple victron inverter wiring

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi there. First time poster so go easy please. :)
I'm currently installing an off grid system for a customer. I'm a time served registered sparky but lacking knowledge somewhat with a solar system of this size.
Customer has a very large property with additional stables, summer houses etc... He wants to go off grid and so has purchased 6 x 48/5000 victron inverters and 10 x 100ah topband lithium batteries. My question is this.........All solar equipment is in a building around 30mts from the main house fuseboards. With regard to the AC1 out connections on the inverters, I will have 6 lots of AC1 cabling from the inverters. How do I transfer this into the house fuseboards 30mts away? I was thinking of connecting the 6 AC1 into a seperate fuseboard then a 25mm SWA from this fuseboard into the house fuseboard via a manual transfer switch.
Is this viable?
Many thanks.

sounds fine to me, only voltage drop is suppossed to be 1% for solar systems, so upping the cable size might be needed. Worth doing that anyway as it reduces power losses along the cable, not that they will be that signifcant.

If you look at most solar farms they use multiple inverters dotted around the arrays and feed back to a hub / substation, then grrt big cable to grid connection point. One thing I will say is that ging completely off-grid is more pipe dream than achievable in reality. It can be done, but with winter outputs being very low, you need signifacnt oversizing of the arrays, batteries and everything else, which is expensive. Or the cutomer needs to learn to live with limited power, the sort of thing large house owners tend to like doing. If the site is suitable, another source of generation is a good idea, whethher that be a generator, wind turbine, or water turbine. Something to provide power during the short, dark days of deepest winter, or when the panels are covered in snow.