Oh Dear, This Isn't Looking Good.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Irrespective of what any contract terms and conditions state, if a claim for insurance was been made, it would be down to the terms of the insurance policy, what cover has either party paid for? Are you covered for materials left unattended on site? Certain exclusions could apply, just as with work tools cover. Some policies state cover whilst working on site or in transit to or from a job, but overnight they are not covered if left in an unattended van or place of work.

Doc H.

Last edited by a moderator:
the DVR was installed in position on the shelf, and the wiring was connected and partially installed to the camera...

in which case, is the installer expected to take everything back out at night and take them home?

the DVR was installed in position on the shelf, and the wiring was connected and partially installed to the camera...

in which case, is the installer expected to take everything back out at night and take them home?

You would need to check what insurance cover you have got for partially installed equipment, and if you can risk the loss if it does go AWOL, especially if the building is empty and no customer has signed any acceptance of delivery. Dave seems to think it would have been safer at home? ("Note to ones's self. NEVER leave £400 worth of kit in an empty building, it would be far safer in my own house."). This situation does raise the question of insurance cover for partially installed goods and knowing that insurance companies do like to try and find get out clauses to avoid payment how robust would your T&C's be re ownership and responsibility for the goods. As Slipshod questioned, could they actually stand up in a court of law? How many self employed electricians actually have specific cover for materials they have purchased for a job but not yet been paid for? I suspect some house contents policies would also be void if they knew you were storing large quantities of business materials at home. So its a catch 22, Unattended on site / At home voiding home insurance / Unattended in your own personal lock-up unit?  But I would think cover for goods in you own personal work unit is a more realistic insurable risk. Do many members actually have specific policies covering materials, if so what is the wording of the cover?

Doc H.

I have something that covers work in progress,

not exactly sure of the terms though,

my insurance is due soon so I will have a good read on it, it may be one of those things with more get outs than is any use.

Last year we had 2 properties on the same site where all cables were cut short at 1st Fix stage ready for 2nd Fix, 6k worth of damage done with 4k builders repairs.

In the main contract is was the owners responsibility to make sure the site was safe and secure, after the break in a security guard was employed 6pm-6am 7 days a week.

The clients insurance paid for all works regarding the break in.

well I'm back.

I've done my first evening shift. Cameras on and recording, all stuff intact, nobody has entered the building.

Most of them have moved on, and there's only 2 left now, parked on the grass verge by the side of the road, so I'm going back in daylight to finish off the last 2 outside lights.

When we got there, the two caravans were empty. the Joiner said they are probably out "working"

They arrived back just as we were packing up to leave.

What did surprise me is the number of ordinary cars that came down the road, turned in the entrance and left again. I wonder if this is the local place for dogging? :innocent

(if it is, the CCTV footage might be interesting)

Well I finished at Doge City today.

All was quiet on the western front when I arrived. the men folk were out "working" in their pickup trucks again, just the women folk and the littluns in residence.

All was quiet for the first part, fitting the remaining outside light on the south side of the building, furthest from the encampment, and out of view of them,

When I moved round to the north side I must have been "noticed". It wasn't long before the littleuns were hovering about on their scooters, climbing all over the fences and running around the buildings.  But they never came that close to me and I never saw the women folk.

It was definitely a case of working tidily, i.e the only tools out were those in my tool belt or those actually in use. All tools returned to my vehicle between uses, and nothing left out of sight or lying around.  Even moving my car 3 times depending where I was working to keep it close.  I felt safer keeping my hammer hanging from my tool belt, though I didn't actually have a use for it.

So all finished off without incident and job quickly invoiced to the owner.

When I left, it was a slalom course to avoid the assorted childrens toys all over the road.

The 4 cameras have a good view of the 4 sides of the building and all entrances, and one gets a good view of the entrance and height barrier as well.

Good to hear it all worked out well Dave, we will have to wait for another potential stock heist to find out who's insurance pays, or even if uninstalled, unpaid-for and not signed for equipment can be claimed?

Doc H.

Yes the insurance issue has got me thinking.  I have to admit I don't have any specific insurance.  Tools and stuff, well I never leave them on site so don't expect them to get stolen.

But materials?  well I certainly won't be leaving £400 of uninstalled kit at a customers premises again.  As to would it be covered at home? well "home" is insured as a business, but a B&B business, There is coverage for "stock" but somehow I doubt electrical stock is what that's intended for.

Latest posts