old crabtree board

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ecasam

Reaction score
Hello,

Can you please identify these for me and what type are they????

They have no details on them, I am thinking 3871 as they are old MCB`s??

Help as always, please. Thanks in advance.

IMGP2997.jpg
http://

IMGP2981.jpg

Hope links work. :)

Crabtree C50 breakers.

Not the curve & current but the model of the breaker.

They are almost certainly 3871, however, they can also be had in 60898 as well.

Difficult to get hold of now if you need new ones.

Have had a few go faulty on me in the past.

Probably old age and overload.

Yup as above

3871 Type 2 MCBs if White current marking 3 KA If Yellow 4.5 KA

worked in a few places with them in 3phase boards, connecting up isnt for the faint hearted.

Those are them Doc, however they are the 60898 variants and only available in C curve.

The same units were available in 3871 & in all curves.

However, the breaking capacities are a carry over from 3871!

You don';t get a normal 15A 60898 breaker, you would get a 15A 3871 breaker, in 60898 it would be 16A.

The only definite way to tell the difference as far as I know is to take them out.

Oh, I would not cahnge one live, this is not an MG board here!

They are quite expensive too @

If anybody wants some C50's i've got access to a shed load of em + 2x still boxed 30ma rccb's in my garage somewhere.

C50s are hydraulic/magnetic as opposed to thermal /magnetic, as the name says they are all,I believe, Type C . Were good for holding the higher start up current on motors with their hydraulic part slowing the trip mechanism until motor current has dropped to the run current. If a short occurred the magnetic side will trip instantly.

Boards are old fashioned with exposed BBs /.

As others have stated these C50 breakers have been around a long time. If you take them out the type is embossed on the side. The oldest are just marked as "BS3871" and according to the ECA & NICEIC should be treated as type 4, later ones were marked with type numbers & I've only ever seen BS3871 type 2 but the latest C50s are marked BSEN60898 type C.

Latest posts