Old/dangerous Electrics?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahhh thank you KME for posting that for me and Admin for the upgrade!

Prodave,

We've never had a fuse blow. We've not usually got too much on at one time... The PC is always on, the kettle is always on, along with a baby food steamer and a little stereo unit... Come the winter, being in an old draughty house, the heating is constantly on.

Steve,

We've been here for two years after taking over the tenancy from someone else we lived here with.... It's been a year since we took it over. Before, we just didn't really notice much, but now it's ours and we have our little boy, we are obviously more observant and things! I've had a look and I can't see any certificates, just Gas safety ones. They certainly didn't check anything when we took it over. Plugs still need a decent tug to get out of the sockets... The sockets themselves to me look fairly okay, other than some that are very painted and one in the kitchen is barely on the wall it seems but yeah, they don't -look- too bad. It's what's behind them that worries me.

Anyway, now I can post them, picture spam incoming! I'll see if I can clamber up to the fusebox and check those and i'll get some more pictures.... I'll be back soon if I don't break my neck!

Okay! I didn't even try to balance on the stairs, too hairy. I'll ask my husband when he's back from work, to check the fuses.

I did manage to hook the fuse wire down though!

d4a99ff6-6d9b-4745-8e33-1cd2dac37c9f_zps2cc86230.jpg

And he's some pics to show what I mean about the hairy position it's in above the door on the stairs.

DSC_0354_zpsb900baf6.jpg

DSC_0352_zps2c929cca.jpg

I had a walk about the house afterwards and remembered seeing a junction box thing at the back of a kitchen cupboard... I went to have a proper look and cringed... Am I wrong thinking this is quite bad? Hovering in mid air like that and the exposed bit of wiring?

DSC_0391_zpsb7dc3466.jpg

DSC_0386_zps13901319.jpg

Ummmmm... Eep?

DSC_0387_zps6ae2461b.jpg

Then the kitchen socket that isn't exactly on the wall properly... It's solid, won't move. But hmm.

DSC_0413_zps44e0e6a3.jpg

This is what happened to the plug for the extension, the one that got stuck in the socket.

DSC_0360_zps81f42dd9.jpg

is that a mid terrace 2up 2down?

quite a lot round here with a stairwell like that, but, Ive never seen one with the 'fuse box' in that position, quite dagerous i would say, lack of accessibility, but, not a fail on its own.

its a typical old rental house, simply bodge anfter bodge I would imagine.

as for that last picture, deffo a loose socket [the internal contacts] I would hazard a guess at, signs of arcing and overheating, what sort of load is on that plug?

is that a mid terrace 2up 2down?

quite a lot round here with a stairwell like that, but, Ive never seen one with the 'fuse box' in that position, quite dagerous i would say, lack of accessibility, but, not a fail on its own.

its a typical old rental house, simply bodge anfter bodge I would imagine.

as for that last picture, deffo a loose socket [the internal contacts] I would hazard a guess at, signs of arcing and overheating, what sort of load is on that plug?
Yes it's an end terrace. Two bedrooms, living and dining room, then kitchen and bathroom off of that. Bedrooms have two double sockets each.Dining room has two doubles, living room has a double and a single and the kitchen has three doubles, which is a bit OTT considering its size.

There's botched jobs all over it, but I stupidly thought the electrics might be something they'd do properly.

Not much was on the extension, TV, signal booster, small speaker unit and Xbox. All rarely used too.

Yes indeed I've never seen a stairwell like that. would not be allowed under current building regs.

I would get a bit of board to lay across those two top stairs to stand a step ladder on, and keep them handy in a cupboard or under a bed somewhere.

It really does look like there's things that need putting right. Definitely tell your landors or agent that you think it is unsafe and you want an EICR as already suggested.

In all probability a days work by an electrician would get most of it at least safe, if not upgraded.

the fact you are using an extension lead points to there not being enough sockets. What load was plugged into that lead, the plug looks to have been overloaded. At a very minimum fit a new plug onto that lead.

the lar relating to electics in rented houses is very wooley.  It says the landlord must provide "safe" electrics, and one way to achieve that is by an EICR, but that's not mandatory unfortunately like a gas certificate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes indeed I've never seen a stairwell like that. would not be allowed under current building regs.

I would get a bit of board to lay across those two top stairs to stand a step ladder on, and keep them handy in a cupboard or under a bed somewhere.

It really does look like there's things that need putting right. Definitely tell your landors or agent that you think it is unsafe and you want an EICR as already suggested.

In all probability a days work by an electrician would get most of it at least safe, if not upgraded.

the fact you are using an extension lead points to there not being enough sockets. What load was plugged into that lead, the plug looks to have been overloaded. At a very minimum fir a new plug onto that lead.
Yes i'm going to call her and get one done. This is silly. What would an EICR usually cost? If our landlady doesn't get one done, then I might just do it myself.

We were only really using the extension because the sockets in an awkward spot and we couldn't reach it from where the TV is.

For an installation that size probably no more than half a day at whatever the normal rate is where you are.

The other way to approach this, if the landlord is not interested, is to move.  Yes quit your tenancy and move to another house with a better landlord. If you did that as a last resort make sure the landlord knows the reason you are moving.

Speaking as a landlord myself, I want to have happy tenants that stay for a long time. It costs a landlord money each time he has a change of tenant so he would be a fool to let a good reliable tenant go because he can't be bothered to make the place decent.

For an installation that size probably no more than half a day at whatever the normal rate is where you are.

The other way to approach this, if the landlord is not interested, is to move.  Yes quit your tenancy and move to another house with a better landlord. If you did that as a last resort make sure the landlord knows the reason you are moving.

Speaking as a landlord myself, I want to have happy tenants that stay for a long time. It costs a landlord money each time he has a change of tenant so he would be a fool to let a good reliable tenant go because he can't be bothered to make the place decent.
We've really been thinking of moving. I do and don't want to go at the same time... This house could be absolutely amazing, it really, REALLY could. It's got character. It's spacious, it has a massive garden. We love it but we hate it. The botched jobs like the poorly tiled bathroom or the old windows and draughty front door were one thing... But when it comes to electric, i'm so annoyed that it's like this. You don't mess with peoples safety... You just don't. Especially not when they have a child.... The more I think about it the more angry I get. Am sat here quietly fuming. 

That stairwell... wow... I haven't seen craftsmanship like that before!

Kick up a fuss with the lettings people make sure you keep on them and make sure there earning their money!

As others have said a decent spark should have many of your concerns sorted in half a day.

It's through a letting agency Andy... But it's ridiculous the way the Landlady has it all setup is that she uses them for the paperwork side of it all and she does everything else. So if we call them for say, like we did last year, for umm, I don't know, what was it... Oh yeah, half of our living room ceiling falling down (massive chunks of old -heavy- plaster, while I was pregnant, good thing I wasn't under it...) they say "Sorry, call the landlady!". I suppose it saves her money, that way. They're all useless. All of them.

Blue Duck... My brother-in-law hadn't seen anything like it before either... When he came to stay with us and stumbled out of the bedroom in the dark... He came down it on his backside! I wish i'd been here to hear it... My husband missed it too, but he did hear the *thud... thudthudthudthudthud* *expletive*... Oh that's cheered me up now. Needed a chuckle.

given age of fuseboard, and the fact the palce is rented, it is clear that the electrics have not been inspected. That bothers me more than anything else, especially with nipper on the go! Wea ll grew up without RCD protection, but then set belts were optional back then aswell. I appreciate landlord not using agency staff, many agencies add charges that landlord ends up paying.However, you have a right under the provison of goods and services to expect the place to be safe, so you need to push buttons and make a nuisance of yourselves until something gets done. As for being cold, drafty and no doubt expensive to run, get a Green Deal Assessment done, by sound of it property may qualify ofr ECO funding - free uprgrades to property, though not electrics unfortunately, and landlord can't stop it either!!

given age of fuseboard, and the fact the palce is rented, it is clear that the electrics have not been inspected. That bothers me more than anything else, especially with nipper on the go! Wea ll grew up without RCD protection, but then set belts were optional back then aswell. I appreciate landlord not using agency staff, many agencies add charges that landlord ends up paying.However, you have a right under the provison of goods and services to expect the place to be safe, so you need to push buttons and make a nuisance of yourselves until something gets done. As for being cold, drafty and no doubt expensive to run, get a Green Deal Assessment done, by sound of it property may qualify ofr ECO funding - free uprgrades to property, though not electrics unfortunately, and landlord can't stop it either!!
Thanks Binky! That's a great idea... It really is cold in here sometimes, old sash windows. We keep it warm enough but that is with the heating on constantly in the winter. There's a nip in here today because of the cold wind. But some of that could be fixed by the Landlady too. Her not so handy handyman fixed our sticking front door by shaving some off of it, the result is a gap you can see light through.

Our tenancy is due to be renewed here and if it wasn't for the problems i'd never want to leave here, we think it's a great place to raise our boy... But at the moment it's all a bit overwhelming. If it was just my husband and I we'd not worry but it's our boy... So we'll get the electrics sorted and renew our contract for now, but it might be that we'll start looking for somewhere else. Sigh!

I know what you mean about the RCD and seatbelt things. I always swore i'd never be one of this over protective parents that freak out about things, because I grew up in the countryside with my family owning a garden centre and my idea of fun would be doing things like building forts in the middle of massive stacks of bags of compost and stuff... And i'm still here! But yeah, electrics I just won't mess with.

Thanks Canoeboy! I've seen that before. I had a bundle of them in a home safety kit I bought and was just today telling my Mum about how dangerous the things were and how i'd not use them. She reminded me how she used them. I think she thinks i'm bonkers for not.

What you have to remember is that most electrical installations are safe. They may be old and not up to current standards, but nevertheless are safe.

You have to treat all electrical installations with respect, they can serve you well, but potentionally can kill.

Landlords are very reluctant to get things done properly, however we are assuming that your landlord falls into this catagory. You must raise these issues with your landlord, and make it clear that you are concerned.

Your first couple of posts in respect of the electricians observations have not supported your concerns, only highlighted your fears. I think I would be correct in thinking that the report was done by a Domestic Installer?

A proper electrician would have told you exactly what was wrong, instead of filling you with fear for your life.

Yes your installation is old, and yes it does not comply to current regulations, but is it unsafe? Without recorded test results none of us can say.

As for the location of the "fuseboard" perhaps as a tennant you are not permitted to do any work within your home? Any remedial or emergency repairs are carried out by your landlord.

You can see from my reply that there are loads of reasons for and against any complaint. Giving blind advise over a forum can only add to the confusion.

If you want a serious report doing that can hold weight in a court of law, then get a fully qualified electrician to do a full survey,and remember that a Part P electrician may have only done a six week course.

What you have to remember is that most electrical installations are safe. They may be old and not up to current standards, but nevertheless are safe.

You have to treat all electrical installations with respect, they can serve you well, but potentionally can kill.

If you want a serious report doing that can hold weight in a court of law, then get a fully qualified electrician to do a full survey,and remember that a Part P electrician may have only done a six week course.
really,?

why was that,? did he have a weeks holiday in spain in the middle of it?  :slap   a lot do it in 5 weeks dontyaknow........

Thank you Manator for the advice and reassurance. 

The landladys handyman popped in yesterday, lovely fella but i've lost all patience now. Husband told him how we wanted an EICR and things, to everything he was told it would all be sorted in the next few weeks. I don't think in the next few weeks is good enough. I think -now- is good enough. I don't think if left to him it'll happen in the next few weeks anyway, I think it'll be months... Apparently the landlady is still on her holiday and she owes him thousands. Clearly she's putting our rent money to good use.

And to add to our housing woes, we currently have no heating. I thought i'd put it on for the first time of the year and first time since the electrician poked around and found that the boiler was wired to the lights... What with it being an old drafty cold house and with the way the weather has turned, there's a real chill in the air here and yesterday, after bathing our boy, I though i'd flick the heating on for an hour just to take the edge off it... But no!

The boiler is running, we have hot water but no heating. I thought maybe it's because of the power going off and the control panel whatsit just needed fiddling with, setting the time and what not. But no. It even lit up and clicked like it was saying "Hey boiler, let's go!" but nothing. The boiler didn't respond. My husband fiddled with it too this morning before work but nothing from him either. We have a temperature controlling thing in the dining room, where he was poking at the light trying to figure out what the extra cable was, I wonder if he's not connected that back up or something... Either way, it's really chilly in here and my patience is -gone-.

Rant over. Huff.

It really does look like you have reasons for complaint. You should keep a log of each complaint, and when you made them.Keep on top of it and never give in.

Always be polite, and try and accomodate any reasonable request from your Landlord. If possible try to record any telephone conversations, and try to keep records of any letters you receive or write..

Keep us informed, and if you need the forums help in any way I am sure we can sort it out for you.

Me again! Just thought i'd post an update.

Wellllll, we've been without heating for 11 days. Not a big deal for us, but for our 8 month old boy? Growl. Landlady sent a chap over but he's been waiting for a part and to get his van fixed.

To keep our boy warm while we waited, we were using an electric heater. On Sunday, I went to switch it off when there was a big flash from the socket... When I went to take the plug out, the plug was warm, as was the cable which had gone really floppy. Gave the plug a pull which needed a bit more effort than normal. It had started to melt... The plastic around the live pin had very slight little ripples on the plastic... I think left any longer it'd of gone the way of the plug downstairs. This socket though... was in our SONS NURSERY! He doesn't sleep in there yet and isn't left alone there. But still!

Anyway, the electrician was sent over quite sharpish, nice guy, he reassured me that everything was safe providing we don't overload things too much... And he spent a good amount of time explaining everything to me. We need a total rewire now. Upstairs and downstairs on their own circuits, kitchen and boiler on their own. It's going to be a nightmare because we're going to have to clear our loft, find somewhere to store all of that, box things up off of our bookshelves and things so that they can be moved to get under the floorboards and what not. He's coming back the weekend after next, to give us time to get things sorted.

Argh! All while my husband works almost 24/7 with one day a week off work if he's lucky and with my time spent looking after our boy. It's sososo frustrating! And to save our boy from all the noise, dust and madness, we're going to have to stay at a hotel for the weekend what with having nobody nearby to stay with and avoiding splitting my son and husband up since he needs to be nearby for work... All because our landlady couldn't maintain things properly in the first place! 

Boiler man is supposed to be here this morning... But he was supposed to be here for the last 11 days, so I hold out no hope.

If the heating isn't done today i'm literally going to lose it. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned, takes on a whole new level of scary when that woman is also a Mother. I'm such a calm, soft, polite person but this is testing that to the extreme...

That turned into quite the rant... Again. Huff.

I would repeat my earlier advice and look for another place to rent, then when you have found something give notice on your tenancy.

Trust me, you don't want to be living in the place while it's being rewired.