OMG

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikep

Gold Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Priced for a new consumer unit, checked the old board 3 x rings, 2 x lighting circuits, immersion, cooker, garage.

Got the job went round to test and inspect, when I opened the airing cupboard this is what was running of the 16a immersion supply:

Immersion

2 x 500w flood lights

Boiler

Bathroom lights

Mirror lights

Shower pump

Customer says 16a Mcb has never tripped.

IMG_2962.jpg

That's diversity for you. (lost emoticons, none in menu, so can't show tongue in cheek, if you know what I mean)

There is even a test sticker for the RCD for the shower pump(?)

test it and see if it passes. It might be a tadge unusual, but it's not overloading the MCB, so case of check cable sizes for MCB / fuses in Fused spurs and maybe recommen a tidying up!

C3 at the VERY worst, if even that, as long as all the wiring is protected fine.

The only thing you could pull it on as far as I can see on first look is inconvenience.

Diversity is fine.

But the immersion has got its own circuit, the fact that someone has tapped of the cct for other things is no different to tapping off a cooker point for an extra socket, It's all hard wired and fused down from what I can see - be inclined to see how many 13A fuses are still fitted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Presumably since there is a central heating system and an obvious valve cable there then the boiler will be heating the hot water anyway?

with the immersion as a back-up if boiler fails. I don't like stuff like this, but it looks reasonably well done and you can't fail stuff cos you don't like it.

Now here's a poser for you:

House bombed during WW2 and rewired using conduit and cloth covered singles. Never been touched since, little old lady in the house. Lights have failed, turns out the lighting board has a fuse in Line and Neutral for the 2 lighting circuits. Replace blown fuse in the neutral and a few lamps and hey presto the lights are working again so she doesn't fall down the stairs in the dark. Now here comes the interesting bit, A.N.Other has been in tested the house and failed it all on grounds it needs a rewire, including the lights - failed to spot blown fuse it seems. Little old lady can't afford re-wire, so queation is, what do we do? Test results show cable and Zs values are all OK There's a few dodgy light swtches (also all original) so some maintenance work is needed. Alas no pictures as my phone battery was dead.

Option 1/ walk away and say re-wire or nothing

Option 2/ Replace boards to add MCBs and greater protection at minimal cost - something needs to be done as a new boiler is due to be fitted which will require new cct and MEB to gas and water to be fitted.

Option 3/ Just replace lighting CU (sockets have their own board) so cct for boiler can be added later

option4 / something else??

the one that says water heaters over x litres (20iirc) are to be on their own circuit

Your regs book obviously uses a different numbering system to mine then, do you have a translation from those words into an actual regulation number?

I got involved in this job via council who are risk assessing need to re-wire - thry aren't keen to spend money

with the immersion as a back-up if boiler fails. I don't like stuff like this, but it looks reasonably well done and you can't fail stuff cos you don't like it.

Now here's a poser for you:

House bombed during WW2 and rewired using conduit and cloth covered singles. Never been touched since, little old lady in the house. Lights have failed, turns out the lighting board has a fuse in Line and Neutral for the 2 lighting circuits. Replace blown fuse in the neutral and a few lamps and hey presto the lights are working again so she doesn't fall down the stairs in the dark. Now here comes the interesting bit, A.N.Other has been in tested the house and failed it all on grounds it needs a rewire, including the lights - failed to spot blown fuse it seems. Little old lady can't afford re-wire, so queation is, what do we do? Test results show cable and Zs values are all OK There's a few dodgy light swtches (also all original) so some maintenance work is needed. Alas no pictures as my phone battery was dead.

Option 1/ walk away and say re-wire or nothing

Option 2/ Replace boards to add MCBs and greater protection at minimal cost - something needs to be done as a new boiler is due to be fitted which will require new cct and MEB to gas and water to be fitted.

Option 3/ Just replace lighting CU (sockets have their own board) so cct for boiler can be added later

option4 / something else??

For a start I'd replace the neutral fuses with wire links whilst there