Out Side Light

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electrics_new

Reaction score
I have a pending job and just thought I's share it with the board.

OK customer has a very old lamp post that they want connecting in the garden.  Rightly so the person laying the drive layerd armored cabling from the lamp post to property and left an excess of 3m for inside the house.

There DB has no RCD but has one spare way.  So i'll put in an RCBO and connect the light to that.

Only issue I have is that the lamp post - although metal (is 40 years old) and doesn't have a connection for a earth.

What do you recommend ?

I want to do the job properly............

Thanks

So we do a training course....

But still cant suss out how to wire an outside light??????

Just because a fitting has metal it does not mean it cannot be double insulated....

The electric bit can be double insulated within the enclosure....

But if not......

How hard is it to maybe drill and fix an earth stud if needed???

Let me guess...

short course only does plastic light switches in a garage, PVC conduit or T&E...

This should be a DIY'ers question..

not someone charging for their "Expertise"

So when was the drive layed..

has this SWA been lying around getting damp in the ends for ages????

Who's signing off and accepting any warranty for the condition of the supply cable.. ??

If it's a very old cast iron type lamp post it won't be ClassII so you'd need to make a suitable earth point unless it's buried deep enough to pass the required Ra readings in which case we could discuss whether it's necessary to export and earth to it.  :)

How do you intend to make of the SWA cable in the lamp post? Is there a gland plate?

How is it switched?

Have you tested swa ? And what were the readings?

How many core swa and size ?

How long is circuit and what is the load ?

What make board is in currently and will rcbos fit in the board ?

+1 to specs re you putting your name to the cable which you can't see how its been installed?

Bit of a dodgy one this but need more input from you to give a better answer

:)

Hi electrics_new,

Presumably the spare way is on the end of the DIN rail, so RCBO compatibility shouldn't be a problem.

If there is any concern about using a SP RCBO, I offer both SP and DP RCBOs

SBS Dave

When you say lamp post ie lighting column what kind is it the modern type thats been painted and fitted with an embelishment kit to look old or the old cast type ?

Is there a service door at the base with a wooden backing board to fix a suitable isolator to ?

Normally on the newer columns there is an earth stud and we use an 8mm brass bolt and a crimp lug but there have been times where ive had to drill the colum to fit a bolt to earth it.

I read this as very old. If so has it actually got a lamp holder ect inside? Or just somewhere to put a candle?