PC about to die

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have an apple account you could just get pages from the store, I have pages and numbers which is equivalent to word and excel. I do believe that documents in pages can be saved as a word format document? 

There are also various apps for documents such as Docs to go, documents pro, open office as mentioned. 

I wouldn't be surprised if your versions of Word & Excel are no longer getting updated either?

Doc H. 

When our old lappy with Vista died (boot sector of HDD ********) I put a new HDD in and loaded Ubuntu onto it.

Old version of Office, Word, Excel etc still woeks under Ubuntu.

PC  has just frozen  , had to press the crash button , start up all I can hear is the fan ,   just got it to restart  ...a little slow or is it my imagination .

There is a repair guy near here ,  would it be a good idea to ask him to knock up a new one with Win 10   and transfer  my stuff from this one .  

Or should I stick with the Currys  / PC world  type people .

Theres loads on ebay but all seem to be rebuilds .   

The most important thing IMHO...

and the most urgent...

Is make sure you have a back-up of all of your important files, photos, music, videos  etc...

on an external hard drive..

If you haven't already done this,

You can pick up some decent capacity USB drives that don't break the bank,

where you can duplicate all important info in-case that crash happens sooner than you get a new PC sorted.

I back up all important work files onto one USB drive 

and have another for personal family photos, music etc...

(Plus some old internal hard drives that I use in a stand-alone USB caddy as back-ups for the back-ups!)

Got way too much digital info of family photos/videos and Go-Pro films from all sorts of holidays/birthdays/graduation etc.. etc..

it is a product of having five children!!

Anyway  the golden rule is always... "If you cant afford to lose it, back-it-up  then back-up the back-up!!!"  :popcorn  

Takes a bit of pressure off, if the PC throws a wobbler.

AS for PC's on a  budget,

I replaced an old family Dell desktop with a Pc-World HP base unit+keyboard just after Christmas in the January sales saved £200+ off the recommend retail price.

So if its a traditional desktop arrangement that is playing up and you monitor is all good,

It may be worth having a search for offers on just base units rather than a complete PC package..

Guinness  

Last edited by a moderator: