pendant skirts

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lannielectrical

Reaction score
I have a query about skirts on pendants

I was under the impression that a pendant had to have a skirt fitted to eliminate electric shock risk I have just received some brass lights bought by my customer which do not come with skirts and as they are special design they dont have any made

Would you still fit these??? as when I did my 2391 this was a no no!!!

All the skirt does is hold a lampshade on. Years ago the flared type was called 'A Home Office skirt' to keep moisture away from the light bulb. None would stop an idiot sticking there fingers in. Mk makes a lampholder that the pins are shrouded as the lamp is removed.

I was told when an apprenti that it was a Home Office instruction to have that type of skirt on batten holders in bathrooms .

The point of them was/is that they prevent a finger from touching the metal lamp cap . Don't ask me why unless they were thinking of ES lamps with a live connection to the thread.

I was told when an apprenti that it was a Home Office instruction to have that type of skirt on batten holders in bathrooms .The point of them was/is that they prevent a finger from touching the metal lamp cap . Don't ask me why unless they were thinking of ES lamps with a live connection to the thread.
you mean your not supposed to change a lamp and stick your finger in the terminal, whilst in the bath?!

I was told when an apprenti that it was a Home Office instruction to have that type of skirt on batten holders in bathrooms .The point of them was/is that they prevent a finger from touching the metal lamp cap . Don't ask me why unless they were thinking of ES lamps with a live connection to the thread.
And i remember as a spotty 16 year old 1st year apprentice saying to the lecturer ' if a Home office skirt is fitted then its possible to touch the metal base of the light bulb but with a standard skirt its almost impossible, whys that ?' He never did reply to that but offered 'It also keeps condensation away from the globe'

Think he made that one up Slippery. !!!

I wonder if anyone does actually know the origin of the "Home Office Skirt" ?

I'm sure earlier Regs said ...... bathrooms should have an enclosed fitting or Batten with HO Skirt.

My 14th edition has been cast to the four winds but the 15th edition asks for an insulated lampholder with a "protective shield" complying with BS 5042 . an alternative would be a totally enclosed fitting .

No mention of Home Office.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if anyone does actually know the origin of the "Home Office Skirt" ?

Yip!............Its the shape, ie like the sort of skirt that a woman working at the home office would wear with the starchy suit and glasses. Fat bum and flared out over the knees;)

ok, shall I shed my tuppence on this,

the flared skirt has holes in it,

remember the lampshades with the metal washer type thingie,

well in a normal room you needed the washer thingie to screw your normal skirt to,

with a TRS skirt in a bathroom you took the washer off and the shade sat on the bottom edge of the skirt, thus allowing the steam to evaporate up through the holes in the skirt and not collect in the lampholder.

anyhow, that was how I was told it worked.