Phone controlled timer

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

binky

retired and loving it!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, I've got a customer who wants timer for some display lights, just 170w of LED lighting. Now I was oing to install a photocell and 7 day timer, cos he wants different settings for the week end, but he has asked about controlling via an app on his phone, like he can his gas boiler. So question is does anyone know of such a gadget, or recommend a particular timer.

I was thinking of one of these, but price seems a little cheap!

http://www.belkin.com/uk/F7C027-Belkin/p/P-F7C027;jsessionid=C7D071C944C53CB17C1A32C330A4DF53/

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I've got a customer who wants timer for some display lights, just 170w of LED lighting. Now I was oing to install a photocell and 7 day timer, cos he wants different settings for the week end, but he has asked about controlling via an app on his phone, like he can his gas boiler. So question is does anyone know of such a gadget, or recommend a particular timer.

I was thinking of one of these, but price seems a little cheap!

http://www.belkin.com/uk/F7C027-Belkin/p/P-F7C027;jsessionid=C7D071C944C53CB17C1A32C330A4DF53/

Would this rely on allowing someone else's servers to get a route into your private network to enable it to work?

i.e. is the WeMo system hosted on a "Belkin" server which then has a route into your private home network, so given the right circumstances someone could hack into the WeMo system, and then get access to your private network?

So if your burglar alarm & door locks were WeMo then they could be turned off by a hacker for example?

Then in 5 years they turn off the servers so all your kit doesn't work any more, just like NEST have done with the Revolv system?

I don't like this idea unless the servers are @ my place.

I don't trust the public cloud, & the IOT is very dangerous.

IMHO.

Look at the Wiwo product.

Not only can you set different times and days, you can control on your phone and over the internet - for less than £20.00

Latest posts