Single phase Winch control

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dairyspark

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So farmer has bought himself a winch from toolstation and created his own lifting gate so he’ll hold cows in a pen to be put through the robot to be milked…..anywhooo it had a hand controller attached to it and it dangles down in the middle of the gate. He wants a set of controls further down the shed so here is my dilemma.

It’s a little single phase winch with the capacitor in the hand control doing the reversing. It goes through a DPDT rocker switch so Live, Neutral, Up and Down via a 4 core from the motor and capacitor wiring attached to the rocker switch. Now am I correct in saying to make my remote buttons work I need to basically parallel everything with a 7 core (1 spare core) onto the rocker switch and take it to my buttons?

I should also note, he wants to hand controller to continue dangling so I can’t just simply move the hand controller 🙄

He made this by himself for about £300 instead of spending £4000 on a pre-made gate from Dairy supplier so I’m limited to what I can do lol

Any help would be appreciated 👌🏻

Cheers
Bobby

not done much with the winches but they work similar to many other motors like that, normally neutral to motor and 2 lives with a cap between them, one live for each direction. basically you just need to replicate that

just make sure to charge £3700

I would start by drawing out a schematic. You need to be careful that a short circuit can't occur.
Ideally only one control position should be active at any time, so conflicting commands cannot occur..
I suspect the best and safest way to do what you want is by introducing a relay box.
Be aware that machinery safety regulations apply to this.

I would start by drawing out a schematic. You need to be careful that a short circuit can't occur.
Ideally only one control position should be active at any time, so conflicting commands cannot occur..
I suspect the best and safest way to do what you want is by introducing a relay box.
Be aware that machinery safety regulations apply to this.
Very good idea.

I bought a cheap as chips winch from eBay years ago that had two wireless remotes, that would work in your situation and save a lot of grief.

Excuse the drawing, did it on my phone in Tesco car park LOL, here is my take on the winch control. Obviously no fuses shown etc for clarity
View attachment 15778

Nice drawing.. BUT, it does beg the question........

Why on earth were you hanging around a Tesco car-park, viewing recent forum posts,
that made you want to stop what you were doing, and knock-up an electrical sketch on your phone to post a new answer...???

{a} If you had just got to Tesco's, why didn't you crack-on and get your shopping done?

{b} Or if shopping was done and you were emptying your trolley contents into the car, why didn't you just load-up and get back home before the frozen foods / refrigerated items got too warm.?

OR.....
{c} were you just killing time because your better half had met an old friend and they started talking which you knew from past experience would be for 30+minutes...?

Any answer other than {c} could be a sign you possibly need some "Forum-Addiction-Therapy"!! {For which I am sure there must be an appropriate 24hr/365dy telephone support service you could call to help with this issue? }.

:):LOL::cool:(y)🍺🍺🍺🍺

Nice drawing.. BUT, it does beg the question........

Why on earth were you hanging around a Tesco car-park, viewing recent forum posts,
that made you want to stop what you were doing, and knock-up an electrical sketch on your phone to post a new answer...???

{a} If you had just got to Tesco's, why didn't you crack-on and get your shopping done?

{b} Or if shopping was done and you were emptying your trolley contents into the car, why didn't you just load-up and get back home before the frozen foods / refrigerated items got too warm.?

OR.....
{c} were you just killing time because your better half had met an old friend and they started talking which you knew from past experience would be for 30+minutes...?

Any answer other than {c} could be a sign you possibly need some "Forum-Addiction-Therapy"!! {For which I am sure there must be an appropriate 24hr/365dy telephone support service you could call to help with this issue? }.

:):LOL::cool:(y)🍺🍺🍺🍺
Well you didnt get the true reason in your multi choice assessment LOL. Mrs Johnb2713 was shopping and rather than amble round the store I wait in the car until she's almost done, then I go in and assist with checkout, loading bags etc.

Your post also begs the question, why are you concerned so much about me and my phycological state of mind? My doctor told me I'm paranoid, well, he didnt actually say that but I know what he was thinking.

Your post also begs the question, why are you concerned so much about me and my phycological state of mind?

Occasionally the forum is not only trying to be friendly....

But also showing a little bit of empathy and concern for any members who may be exhibiting excessive forum interaction...
Possibly bordering on needing external help above and beyond anything that the forumbulator can offer..?

Lone male.... Sitting in car... Fumbling with his phone.... In a secluded area of Tesco car-park.....

Just imagine the conversation.................................... (maybe)..

"Well officer I was just answering a question on the forum"...
"Oh yes sir, indeed, we can discuss this further down at the station!!"

We are all just worried and concerned for you John....
Honest! :giggle::LOL::p

Occasionally the forum is not only trying to be friendly....

But also showing a little bit of empathy and concern for any members who may be exhibiting excessive forum interaction...
Possibly bordering on needing external help above and beyond anything that the forumbulator can offer..?

Lone male.... Sitting in car... Fumbling with his phone.... In a secluded area of Tesco car-park.....

Just imagine the conversation.................................... (maybe)..

"Well officer I was just answering a question on the forum"...
"Oh yes sir, indeed, we can discuss this further down at the station!!"

We are all just worried and concerned for you John....
Honest! :giggle::LOL::p
You my oy larf yo do hehehe