PIR Switch Live Floating Voltage

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amature Automater

Reaction score
I have several Steinel HF3600 PIRs.  They were wired in by a professional electrician with Live, Neutral and Switched Live.  Each one's switched live is linked to the switch input on a separate home automation micro module e.g. Fibaro FGS211, which are between 3 and 5 meters of wiring away.  The problem is that if I put a meter between Neutral and the Switched Live I am reading between 60 and 100V AC.  When the PIR actually switches it goes to 240V of course but the transition from 60V to 240v and back again is not registered by the micro module as actually being switched - it needs to get a lot closer to 0V I am guessing.  I had some advice to place a mains rated resistor from switched live to neutral to try and pull the voltage down but this did not seem to make any difference.  Interested in thoughts.

What value resistor did you try?

I don't have the spec of the PIR to hand, but perhaps it quotes a minimum load to operate.

Perhaps you could prove your theory by having a small lamp connected to the PIR output as well as the module.

sounds like an induced voltage in the cabling. On some lighting switches with 'neutral free' switch plates, we fit 5micro farad capacitors across live and neutral ( can someone else confirm that as it's been a long time since I used one of those devices) to get the switch/ light to work. Not sure if that would solve your problem?