Please, need advice on what testing equipment I should be looking at...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparky1983

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm fairly new to the trade (a 2nd year apprentice) and am not sure what testing equipment I should aim to purchase next, over others.

After having looked at my colleagues' kit and what they use, I decided to buy a Fluke T100 Voltage/Continuity Tester, Fluke 1AC II VoltAlert Voltstick and a SOK32 Socket Tester.

However, I am keen to find out what new starters generally purchase after these basic testers.

At my firm I've been involved in looking at how my colleagues do testing, but it has been like trying to understand a foreign language, and to be frank I don't learn enough at work imho (Obvious time constraints).

At college, it's the opposite end of the spectrum where I want to push on into applying the science/maths in the workshop and learning how to take measurements confidently. But it's not explained in depth there. Or not enough for me to understand. Or maybe it's a case of 'not yet'.

What I'm trying to get at is that I feel it's a case of me needing to practice in my on time (rigging up and testing circuits in my Dad's shed), and getting the relevant testing equipment.

So that's it bascially. Considering that I have a basic Voltage/Continuity tester, Voltstick and a decent Socket tester what products should be next on my list?

A clamp meter, multimeter? Specific Model?

Advice will be much appreciated

As an Electrician. I have volt stick, Clamp meter which does continuity, amps and volts, Socket tester for isolating circuits and multifunction tester for installation testing. By the way welcome to the forum.

Batty

Hello all, I'm fairly new to the trade (a 2nd year apprentice) and am not sure what testing equipment I should aim to purchase next, over others.After having looked at my colleagues' kit and what they use, I decided to buy a Fluke T100 Voltage/Continuity Tester, Fluke 1AC II VoltAlert Voltstick and a SOK32 Socket Tester.

However, I am keen to find out what new starters generally purchase after these basic testers.

At my firm I've been involved in looking at how my colleagues do testing, but it has been like trying to understand a foreign language, and to be frank I don't learn enough at work imho (Obvious time constraints).

At college, it's the opposite end of the spectrum where I want to push on into applying the science/maths in the workshop and learning how to take measurements confidently. But it's not explained in depth there. Or not enough for me to understand. Or maybe it's a case of 'not yet'.

What I'm trying to get at is that I feel it's a case of me needing to practice in my on time (rigging up and testing circuits in my Dad's shed), and getting the relevant testing equipment.

So that's it bascially. Considering that I have a basic Voltage/Continuity tester, Voltstick and a decent Socket tester what products should be next on my list?

A clamp meter, multimeter? Specific Model?

Advice will be much appreciated
Hello Sparky...

Don't think I can directly answer your questions because to some degree it is a question of what you want to be doing electrically.. what you current knowledge is.. and what your realist real world work requirements are.

e.g. one answer is to get a good all singing all dancing multi function tester.

But if you can borrow some things from work then maybe you don't need all that outlay immediately?

Whether you are doing inspection & testing or not a good little book to have is.... approx

Thanks a lot Special Location, or is it 'HTH'?

A multifunction tester was my first thought. I did like the look of this Kewtech one a colleague had (nice and compact). However, at roughly a grand and being told by my tutor and my father "If they go, all your testers go" I've been having second thoughts. It's not like I'm going to be involved in much testing at work in the near future.

However, in theory, it seems very convenient and I don't want to delay learning. In the college workshop they don't go through things in depth so much. Actually we haven't done much testing at all. Maybe it's a case of 'not yet'. However, I don't want to hang around. I know have the capacity to learn more in less time. Practising in my own time was the idea I had.

If I bought separate testers, would it be much a lot more expensive and just more hassle? Then again, none of my colleagues have 'blown up' their multifunction testers! I mean, how would you actually do it??

Talking on Clamp meters, is it just a 'feature' to read current more easily then? Fault finding etc. Or, wouldn't a multimeter have probes which you could place at terminals instead, to get a reading? I'm obviously trying to avoid spending unecessarily here:D

And lastly, on learning testing/taking readings via instructions in text - I've recently bought several books namely the Electrical Installations Level 2 and Level 3 Student books by Nigel Harman, a copy of the Wiring Regs and On-Site Guide and "17th Edition IEE Wiring Regulations: Explained & Illustrated" by Scaddan.

The last one there in the same series as the book you mentioned. But I'm thinking, are any of these books better than the one you mentioned in learning to test installations? And what about Guidance Note 3? Does that give illustrated instructions on how to test?

Many thanks again.

Thanks a lot Special Location, or is it 'HTH'? A multifunction tester was my first thought. I did like the look of this Kewtech one a colleague had (nice and compact). However, at roughly a grand and being told by my tutor and my father "If they go, all your testers go" I've been having second thoughts. It's not like I'm going to be involved in much testing at work in the near future.

However, in theory, it seems very convenient and I don't want to delay learning. In the college workshop they don't go through things in depth so much. Actually we haven't done much testing at all. Maybe it's a case of 'not yet'. However, I don't want to hang around. I know have the capacity to learn more in less time. Practising in my own time was the idea I had.

If I bought separate testers, would it be much a lot more expensive and just more hassle? Then again, none of my colleagues have 'blown up' their multifunction testers! I mean, how would you actually do it??

In my opinion, an MFT is better for a few reasons. You`ve only one piece of kit to deal with, feed batteries to, etc... You CAN`t accidently blow one up by incorrect connection.

Talking on Clamp meters, is it just a 'feature' to read current more easily then? Fault finding etc. Or, wouldn't a multimeter have probes which you could place at terminals instead, to get a reading? I'm obviously trying to avoid spending unecessarily here:D

You COULD have a multimeter with probes; BUT you have to remember to change the leads between current & voltage; AND you have to physically "break into" the circuit you`re testing - thereby putting the full flow current through your meter / leads.........

A multimeter generally can`t measure more than 10A. No good for checking the current draw on a 50A mcb.

And lastly, on learning testing/taking readings via instructions in text - I've recently bought several books namely the Electrical Installations Level 2 and Level 3 Student books by Nigel Harman, a copy of the Wiring Regs and On-Site Guide and "17th Edition IEE Wiring Regulations: Explained & Illustrated" by Scaddan.

The last one there in the same series as the book you mentioned. But I'm thinking, are any of these books better than the one you mentioned in learning to test installations? And what about Guidance Note 3? Does that give illustrated instructions on how to test?

Many thanks again.
The book I suggest for "how to test", is the "Inspection, testing & certification" book.

TLC have it here:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BKITC.html

HTH

KME

Don't forget that if you're thinking of discrete components, Ins reistance + Loop Imp/PFC + RCD testers as opposed to a single multi-function device then you are also going to have to stump up the calibration fee for each seperate bit of test kit rather than just one.

I suppose if the units were bought as a kit of testers a calibration firm might not invoice it for three seperate units but I wouldn't expect that automatically to be the case, anybody know the answer to that? do they charge out for 3 units coz I would!

Thanks a lot Special Location, or is it 'HTH'? A multifunction tester was my first thought. I did like the look of this Kewtech one a colleague had (nice and compact). However, at roughly a grand and being told by my tutor and my father "If they go, all your testers go" I've been having second thoughts. It's not like I'm going to be involved in much testing at work in the near future.

Many thanks again.
Multifunction is generally cheaper overall compared to the equivalent separate individual meters.

Individual meters are better where small firms may have more than one guy testing... e.g. one person could be doing dead test at one property..

another person doing live tests elsewhere!

For a sole trader one MTF tester is probably more cost effective overall..

:)

Many many thanks, people!

To Kme - if hypothetically you actually 'blew up' your MFT, under what circumstances/ settings would it happen? Under a certain test perhaps? Insulation and, exactly how actually?

The Clamp feature of a Clamp meter seems quite handy but aren't meter leads designed to take full current flow? Or does it slowly uncalibrate the meter? Speculating of course:)

I didn't think about the MFT having to be calibrated separately for each test and paying for each one, shucks! I though it'd be nice and easy - one price:) And yeah, saving on P&P, might as well right?!

Thanks for that link btw. I'm going to see if there's a copy in the college library, aswell as that compact guide by Scaddan, mentioned by Special Location:) Then see which I prefer, and possibly purchase one, or both.

To Special Location - my firm IS generally 2 people a job at different locations and there's one MFT at each of these jobs. Actually, to think of it a Kewtech, Fluke and Seaward. And as I'd be getting an MFT for myself, it would be used for private work when I get qualified and for learning, in the present.

Thanks again for the advice.

Many many thanks, people! The Clamp feature of a Clamp meter seems quite handy but aren't meter leads designed to take full current flow? Or does it slowly uncalibrate the meter? Speculating of course:)
To read current with a conventional meter you need to put your meter in series with the circuit. which is OK as low current levels.

But if you wanted to read the current flowing up the meter tails. maybe 50+Amps you would need some pretty beefy meter leads..

and I wouldn't like to be holding them with 50amps going through them!

A clamp meter just loops around the conductor you are reading without breaking into the circuit, but must only loop around the one conductor, NOT both e.g. a Twin & earth cable.

That little maplin one Apache mentions is a good value for money job, (I have one! :) )

There are more expensive Clamp meters than can read T&E cables!

I didn't think about the MFT having to be calibrated separately for each test and paying for each one' date=' shucks! I though it'd be nice and easy - one price:) And yeah, saving on P&P, might as well right?!

[/quote']

calibrating a MFT is still cheaper than combined cost for individual meters,

I think my last charges were

To read current with a conventional meter you need to put your meter in series with the circuit. which is OK as low current levels.But if you wanted to read the current flowing up the meter tails. maybe 50+Amps you would need some pretty beefy meter leads..

and I wouldn't like to be holding them with 50amps going through them!

A clamp meter just loops around the conductor you are reading without breaking into the circuit, but must only loop around the one conductor, NOT both e.g. a Twin & earth cable.

That little maplin one Apache mentions is a good value for money job, (I have one! :) )

There are more expensive Clamp meters than can read T&E cables!

calibrating a MFT is still cheaper than combined cost for individual meters,

I think my last charges were

And for information.

I`ve been looking into it this evening, and, with the fluke, unless you shoved over 1KV up its bum, it will be fine:O:O:O

Which means its better than me] :) ]:)

Most continuity / insul testers (newer, anyway) won`t test an energised circuit. If it`s an older one.........It`d be dead!

And to back up SL`s point with the current meter:

A multimeter tends to be fitted with (at least) 3 terminals. one is common, and you move the other lead between the two terminals, dependant on whether you`re measuring current, or something else.

Again....You only have to forget once. Either you fry the meter, or you fry the item you`ve shoved the meter on.....

OR, if you put it on a high energy circuit, in the wrong configuration...it COULD seriously injure or kill you! :(

Clamp meter is better :)

KME

You can get a good cheap clamp meter with leads for voltage, no need to pay big bucks. Worth its weight in gold !! If you are employed I would'nt be shelling out on loop testers etc.

But if you do, make sure the loop tester will read without tripping RCDs.

Always have your own mains tester, and never forget the old adage which was drummed into me in the sixties, no matter who says the power is off , TEST IT YOURSELF !!!

Deke

Yes I saw that Patch, just thought I'd re-inforce Faraday's First Law of Don't Stick Yer Finger in There Pal !!

Famous last words "" Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh !! You said it was dead "

No I said I've got brown bread, ...... in me sarnies !

Deke