Plumber electrocuted.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My supervisor bought one of those lockout kits.....only it wasn't for us, it was just so that the NICIEC inspector could see them on his visit. He never gives them out.

or start reporting 'near misses' everytime someone get within 5mtr of the un-locked breaker
Near misses....are these those women who only get as far as the engagement stage?

Not nice for the poor customer either.. having to find that either:| :( :( :(

hope you know the " customer " was his mother

He was doing a private job for her work when it happened

P.S JACK you were true friend and we are missing loads XXX

Not nice for the poor customer either.. having to find that either:| :( :( :(
hope you know the " customer " was his mother

He was doing a private job for her work when it happened

P.S JACK you were true friend and we are missing loads XXX

I assume from this that you knew him, There is really nothing anyone could say apart from, the people who are members of this forum and the frequent visitors, will read this thread and take greater care in the future.

His tragic death may save someones life, by the fact that it has been discussed and will always be in the back of your mind the next time a circuit is switched off, whilst left unlocked.

A local plumber only 21yrs old working in the loft on the supply for immersion tank, grabbed the bare cable ends unaware the circuit was live due to customer flicking the cu main switch on downstairs to make a brew.The customer only realised something was up when the smoke detector on landing started howling, because the lad had fallen across his halogen work light doc's said he was dead before hitting the deck.

A warning to all isolate lock off & tag out.
So your all telling me then you never remove the live wires from the mcb if going to work on a circuit for some time, cause i take the live feed out when the c/u is accessible by anyone.

Depends who is around at the job - if its someone i know i can trust, it gets turned off and left like that. otherwise, i have an MCB lock in toolbag. doesnt always need the lock, since it still needs a small screwdriver to remove it

At least your all talking and remembering what can happen!

This is one health and safety issue which I really believe in, be safe at all times!!

At least your all talking and remembering what can happen!This is one health and safety issue which I really believe in, be safe at all times!!
never had a shock for many years now... speak to some people and they get shocks all the time from either not turning off (wrong breaker) or someone turning it on... just goes to show how careful you need to be. you may not even get a second chance with it

I tried to get a lock device for main Siemens Moulded breaker 300A. Seems they will only fit when horizontal in multi-breaker panel and in single unit panel they would not fit. Had to get hasp and staple welded to face plate shame as all the nice paint was destroyed.

It seems locking off is not a high priority.

But last job I had all the devices to lock off single device. But only one lock. So on large job I used general electrical locks on other 4 isolators. Mistake my mate removed with my knowledge and refitted so I thought. But he hadn't and machine started with my hand inside. Never worked since.

But it was not only the locks. The switches we realised would be damaged if not removed but were black so we did not think they were safety switches but the Germans has used black instead of red or yellow switches. The isolators should be within the view of the operator but they weren't. Emergency stops were missing at that station and those which were fitted with single pole the requirement for double protection was completely missing. No permit to work system. Or method statement which means of course no risk assessment. And all this where they had posted all around the site "One in a Million" where they aimed to keep accidents down to that level.

In hind site I should have stuck to my guns when I first refused to do the work. I felt it was not my job. But peer pressure got me to start the work. Not being my job we had no instruction manuals as should not have been doing that job.

And after all that when job finally finished they lost everyone's bags. So I guess you can work out where I was!

I tell the story in the hope others will say no and stick to saying no when asked to do some one else's job. I was lucky only mauled hand. I could have easy lost whole arm.

I was also lucky the lads had a few collections for me. And also member of a Union who fought my case.

And I thought I was very careful. My worry was always ionisation of atmosphere and I always used meters with no amp range or clip-on ammeter to reduce chance.

The guy who turned machine back on was in some ways worse than me. Although not really his fault he blamed himself. He took to drink and was offered no counselling.

I feed for the house holder who turned on the power. Regardless if their fault or not it will be hard to live with.

I feed for the house holder who turned on the power. Regardless if their fault or not it will be hard to live with.
but it is common sense that if you have someone working on the electrics in the house, and you notice a breaker turned off, you get the person working n the electrics to do it

but it is common sense that if you have someone working on the electrics in the house, and you notice a breaker turned off, you get the person working n the electrics to do it
or (playing devils advocate) you come home, go to put the kettle on. No power. Go to CU. See the sockets have 'tripped' so re-set breaker.............

easy done

or (playing devils advocate) you come home, go to put the kettle on. No power. Go to CU. See the sockets have 'tripped' so re-set breaker.............easy done
and just ignore the fact that you have invited someone into your house to do something with the electrics. Maybe change the wiring around so that if anyone does try to turn the power back on, they get the shock instead

The way i see it is to always assume that human stupidity is boundless, so take no chances with things like that.

The way i see it is to always assume that human stupidity is boundless, so take no chances with things like that.
That was my point Jono - make some effort. If breaker just switched off then assume the worst. If there was a sign on CU or tape over the breaker then doubt anyone would be so daft...........

job ive been on recently has a Merlin Gerin DB - it has switches between busbar and MCB, so you can change MCB etc dead. its also useful for 'locking off' - to turn circuit back on, cover has to be removed and slide switched moved along before breaker can be energised.

But if anyone does some across these boards... do not drop the main cover into busbar covers. putting switches/ covers back together is not easy!

In industrial work it is very easy to be safe, there are strict rules, permits to work and each machine is locked off by 5 or 6 electricians, dependant on who is working on them.

In the home you are largely on your own.

You can not expect a housholder to know, for instance how many times have you informed the owner that the supply will be disconnected, only to be asked 5 minutes later if you want a brew? (cuppa for you down south).

I have to be honest here and tell you I have worked live.

Only when I have known it to be live and I take great care, never when I expect it to be dead.