Plumbers mmm

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stan794

Reaction score
Called to a job this afternoon, customer just had a new shower fitted 3 weeks ago. It keeps going off she says. I go have a look and find the shower fitted with the pullcord switch directly above i kid you not so its dangling in front of you as you have a shower. I undo the switch to find the neutrals burnt out, not even tightened up at all. I explained to her the problem and what needed doing and she explained that she had called him 3 times to come back etc and he never turned up. So she rings him while i'm stood there and has a go at him, his reply was a classic "i'm a plumber not a bloody electrician" - shocking turns out he does not even have defined scope to allow him to do the work. Its bad really as he does lots of business in my town and has been going for years. :red card

I was in a plumbers merchants yesterday buying a room stat (Wilts sold out) when one plumber turns to the other and says "all a bit quiet at the moment Bert!?" "Yes" says Bert - "I would be screwed if it wasn't for all the electrical work I keep getting - got enough to last weeks!"

It's always a "problem" where plumbing meets wiring.

I'll bet there are plenty of plumbers **** me off for connecting the water when I install a shower.

In an ideal world, both a plumber and an electrician would go to fit a shower. Doesn't happen very often though.

Just to show we share the work, I had to disconnect a failed septic tank pump yesterday. I disconnected the plumbing as well as the wiring (yeah that WAS a s****y job) but the plumber will be going to fit the replacement including connecting it (it just plugs into a 13A socket in the chamber)

I went out to a 6' class C 1970's UPVC sewage pumping main today that had split, first thing they said when i got there was hope you have big wellies :slap (We do a lot of pumping stations for our sins, but muck pays well ROTFWL )
The one I did wasn't actually a septic tank, but just a holding tank, with a macerator pump to pump raw sewage up into the mains.

I had to wait for the pump out man to empty the thing before you could even see the pump. And because it's going to take a couple of days for the new pump to arrive, it will need another pump put before the plumber can fit the new pump.

Say no more......
Yes, how stupid of you to put your socket behind the pipes. How will you fit the front on? :coat

But seriously, if the plumber knew there was no alternative place to put the pipes, wouldn't it have been nice to tell you of the problem and ask you to move the sockets first before he put the pipes there?

Serious lack of cooperation and communication. Not a plumber to be recommended.

Last edited by a moderator:
Disc Cutter remove pipes like this.Then move sockets and leave for the Dumber (errr Plumber) :slap
As long as you don't mind falling out with the plumber and probably the builder (who will get the flack from the plumber) that seems to be the best way.

It shows the same contempt for his pipes as he showed for your wiring.

As long as you don't mind falling out with the plumber and probably the builder (who will get the flack from the plumber) that seems to be the best way.It shows the same contempt for his pipes as he showed for your wiring.
has anyone ever fell in with a plumber, Get right up my wick they do.

The joiner on the job hasnt spoke to the plumber in about 3 years. He's not exactly on everyone's Christmas card list. He also likes to rip boards up, leave them up and blame it on other people. He's worked for this particular customer for years and the customer knows what he's like.

One plumber that works on the jobs I do fitted the boiler so low it covered my connections. The builder made him move it up about 8 inches up the wall, they do say plumbers are sparks with no brains.

So the plumber very very neatly run the pipes across the back of each unit up the side round the front, down to the back of the next unit, across the back and back out and around the front again.

It saved him having to drill holes in the back of the units.

The lady who lived there couldn't see how her kitchen doors were going to work when the kitchen fitter came back :slap
I had a very similar one, but this time it was a dumb electrician.

Kitchen at the back of a victorian house. They had later had a single storey extension built on the rear.

When the kitchen fitter came to fit a new kitchen, he couldn't remove the old base units, as the electrician who wired the extension, drilled through each base unit, and ran the cables for the extension through the back of each kitchen unit, inside the cupboard space.

Latest posts