Portable tool station elecctrics, Saftey advice help

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welshdragon

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am building a portable workstation to hold 4 power tools IE: Router, Saw, Disc sander (Drill powered), Small Drill Press.

The idea I would ideally like is for each unit to only be powered at any on time without the others being able to switch on until the one in use is switched off, & I would like to use & also to prevent accidental power ups.

I am thinking of using

1. 1 x 16A NVR switch with a big emergency stop button.

2. 1 x 4 Channel remote switch.

I guess I would need at least a minimum of 10A remote.

The specs on 1 I have been looking at are

Specification:
Model: CJY-2204
Name: Wireless Relay Switch
1. Working voltage: AC85C-250V
2. Operating frequency: 433MHZ
3. Quiescent current: 8.5mA
4. Load power: 2200W
5. Receiving sensitivity: -105dBM
6. Work: Jog / self-locking / interlock
7. Output signal: four AC220V output voltage signal
8. Coding: learning code
9. Modulation: ASK
10. Working temperature: -10 ° C ~ +70 ° C
11.Channel: 4CH
12. Wiring Method: Fixed wiring terminal
13.Rated load: 10A 250VAC / 10A 125VAC/10A 30VDC / 10A 28VDC
14.Dimension: 6.5cm * 3.5cm * 1.7cm

Would this combo work.....??

How would you best wire it up.

The main reason for the remote switch, is to prevent anyone from using it, that is not authorised or trained to use power tools.....

Kind regards

Thank you for taking the time to look

Any help / advice is gratefully received.....

if you want to go OTT, look at paxton, you can set up a card reader so that only those with a valid card inserted can use them
Or even better a fingerprint reader, I did the Paxton course last year, it was free and very hands on, will be installing a lot of their kit shortly, very installer friendly.

Or even better a fingerprint reader, I did the Paxton course last year, it was free and very hands on, will be installing a lot of their kit shortly, very installer friendly.

done that too (think it was you who mentioned it to start with?)

still not done much with net2 but regularly using compact's & the odd switch2

but yes, very installer friendly. easier to install and use than i was expecting it to be

Hi Sidewinder,

Thank you for welcoming me.

I thought I would get help here, as electrics need to be safe & not taken the mick out NOR for granted of, so for those two above I will have to ignore them, at least on this occasion, but your comment is very much welcome, as is Evans Electric.

it will be for my personal use, but will be used in a shared environment from time to time, but have also given me another idea for a teacher I know.....lol.

For me long gone the days of setting up on & swapping kit over on boards & trestles etc, I would like one piece of kit to get the job done, even if I have to put it on two wheels to move it around but want to keep it as small as is feasible (Without compromising on SAFETY), plus everything I need will be in one place rather than potentially floating / hiding in the van.....;)

No one is taking the Mick as you say , Mr Dragon ,  the guys above have offered feasible methods that they have obviously fitted .

I'm not taking the Mick either but it does seem well over the top  .      How far does one go with these things . ?

To me , if I plug in a power tool , it is for MY use  , anyone else picking it up takes on the responsibilities of H&S   ...unless there are children around when extra measures need to be taken . 

Last edited by a moderator:
How big are the loads,?

Would it be possible to use those remote light switches linked through contactor's so when one throws in it disables the latch for the others,?

It should be doable, I just don't have the time to sketch anything out just now.

No one is taking the Mick as you say , Mr Dragon ,  the guys above have offered feasible methods that they have obviously fitted .

I'm not taking the Mick either but it does seem well over the top  .      How far does one go with these things . ?

To me , if I plug in a power tool , it is for MY use  , anyone else picking it up takes on the responsibilities of H&S   ...unless there are children around when extra measures need to be taken . 

Thank you for clearing that up Evans Electric

Apologies for seeing it that way, as I don't have time to go on courses especially in the foreseeable future, but I do share a rented space (long term contract), with some people that like to use & abuse anyone else's kit baring their own, when they think we are not looking, the aforementioned key switch idea has been tried by others & they get overridden, so the remote idea is the route I ideally would like to go down tbh.

Alternate suggestions that does not involve going on courses will be considered..... ;) ;)

I understand where your coming from, but if someone uses it that has not had permissions & has an accident, then I do not want to be liable in any way shape or form......

How big are the loads,?

Would it be possible to use those remote light switches linked through contactor's so when one throws in it disables the latch for the others,?

It should be doable, I just don't have the time to sketch anything out just now.

Thank you steptoe

The are going to be 250w 350w & 450w & the maximum of 500w

But would like it as future proofed as possible, incase any units breakdown & need to be replaced.....

I have a similar remote unit wired into a test box, it should switch 10A OK, but, I would not recommend switching on full load.

As far as the NVR goes, I would have a start & stop or E-Stop facility, NOT just an E-Stop that just re-energises the NVR system.

I would then use this to feed the remote device.

However, I would caution that whilst the remote relay device is for sale on ebay.co.uk, it may not be legal for sale in the EU, thus, as the importer you would be liable under statute law for the putting the device on the market in the EU, thus, taking on that responsibility, so if this unit was in any environment other than private DIY use, you would be liable in the event of an injury to a 3rd party, so just be careful, and consider what you are doing.

As you say in your post above, things electrical must be safe.

The other two posters are suggesting equipment that they have used to for access control, which they have experience of using, and is legal for sale in the EU.

Hi Sidewinder

Yes I would be using a start stop NVR with built in emergency stop button like these,

1755-4_750.jpg

200093.JPG

But not sure which would be best as I have seen them in 8A / 16A & 18A my thinking is that 8A will be too low & 18A may be a tad overkill (but could be wrong), so 16A may be best, what do you or others think.....??

thank you for bringing that to my attention about the legality

Hence the remote switch I linked to is  now for a reference of the idea, as I did not know about the easy switches that has since been mentioned by M107, which is obviously the legal way to do things,

I forgot to mention that I will be wiring an RCD plus to the mains cable.....

What RCD plug would anyone recommend please.....??

Something similar,

I actually came across one in a box of 'useful stuff' in my shed the other day,

If I get a chance I'll hoke it out later. 

Cheers steptoe, that will be very much appreciated, thank you.....:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I dislike both of those types of device, and the second one is not legal for sale for definite.

If I was doing this I would design from first principles, but, you are going extremely complex for something that is not needed really?

I would always rate any gear greater than that of the potential supply capacity as it were, so @ 13A I would be looking to > 13A rating, such as you say 16A.

The RCD plug you link to has a built in NVR capability, which is the non-latching part of the description.

Yep, that's the things,

1 remote, 4 receivers linked to contactor's with contactor's interlinked so if one fires it disconnects the others.

Can't see why it wouldn't work.... :C
Well I was going to draw it out using the afore mentioned method (great minds steps), then got side tracked in to PLC.................never set it up or used it ....but I do see a new evening hobby on the horizon learning something new...........PADDLER & SIDEY are you ready for some questions :D

Latest posts