Pricing

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing about adding costs to materials to think about is, you get a far better discount for them than Joe public could.

Your wholesaler may buy an item for say

another thing about adding a % to materials, its insurance incase something is faulty. its in my T&C that any parts supplied by customer is not included in warranty, and if i have to take it out and go back to re-install after they have replaced (or got the correct part), they will be charged

got this written down on some letterheaded paper.

139 Ingleway Ave - Summer house

Work outlined.

Summer House

-Supply and Install 4 way Consumer unit with RCD protection

-Supply and Install 4 x 13a double socket outlets.

-Install outside lantern light with override switch.

Exterior

-Install 2 x lamp posts with switch inside summer house.

Shed

-Supply and install shed electrical supply

-Supply and Install 1 x double socket metal clad

-Supply and Install bulkhead light and switch.

Mains Cupboard

-Supply and install Circuit Breakers

-Supply and install isolators for outside circuits

Hot tub

-Supply and install 40a rotary isolator.

Materials -

i dont split materials/labour prices. they get a price for the complete job

maybe add a few more details on installation method. i.e surface, chased etc. avoid any problems later

i dont split materials/labour prices. they get a price for the complete jobmaybe add a few more details on installation method. i.e surface, chased etc. avoid any problems later
I always split materials and labour, it shows them what they are paying for.

When they think the materials only cost

depends what the customer wants i suppose. unless its causing problems, why change it?
Yea thats true, I find most larger jobs require a breakdown on costings to include expected labour costs.

I quoted for a private school who I have just found out is VAT exempt, so now the detail in the quote has to be reworked.(They have an account at a wholesalers). So I would assume it will be better if they paid the material part and then just paid for the labour.

I suspect this is why they have asked for the breakdown.

Good news is, if they are asking me it must mean I have a chance at the workROTFWL

Yea thats true, I find most larger jobs require a breakdown on costings to include expected labour costs.I quoted for a private school who I have just found out is VAT exempt, so now the detail in the quote has to be reworked.(They have an account at a wholesalers). So I would assume it will be better if they paid the material part and then just paid for the labour.

I suspect this is why they have asked for the breakdown.

Good news is, if they are asking me it must mean I have a chance at the workROTFWL
only time ive had to seperate costs was for a CIS job.

are you VAT registered? if you are, i cant see how the school being VAT exempt would be a problem? surely they would just pay you inc vat as normal, and then they claim back VAT paid

only time ive had to seperate costs was for a CIS job. are you VAT registered? if you are, i cant see how the school being VAT exempt would be a problem? surely they would just pay you inc vat as normal, and then they claim back VAT paid
Yes I am VAT registered, they give you an exemption certificate apparently so even the Vat that is added is not paid by them, this is the first time I have come accross this so I am still in the dark as to how it works.

If any one knows please let me know, my accountant would charge me if I asked :^O

You guys give your knowledge for free:^O

not sure on that one, id imagine you buy your materials as per normal, and when you give them the invoice, mark VAT as 0, and give a copy of exemption details to accountant along with the invoice. obviously, you havent been paid VAT, so it shouldnt then be added to the VAT you owe

I always split the materials cost and the labour cost then put final total at bottom. I also add a bit of information about how/what I'm doing for example surface mount or chased, single or double socket etc. If I'm doing a c/u change or similar large job like fitting a new supply to garage etc I price for inspection and testing labour and fitting c/u and fittings labour, and finally parts, I've found customers like a bit of inspecting and testing as they know they can't (generally) do it but they can screw a c/u to the wall and put a few cables into it so like to see a smaller bill for labour for fitting c/u. Regarding parts I buy from Electricfix generally so carry a screwfix catalogue and show customer parts and let him chose, this then builds in an automatic 15% mark up on parts and they think they are getting them at cost price as screwfix keep telling people its where the trade buys, and worse case is I get the part from screwfix and don't make anything on that single part unless its an emergency job and I have to go screwfix quick then I mark up by 15% anyway.

Sorry I should have stated my position at the moment, I'm after as much custom as possible. I'm trying to make the push to go self employed so i need as many customers as possible (got quite a few so far). So i need my price to be on the cheaper side, but I don't want to be ripping myself off as I've got more and more things to pay out for, for when i go it alone.
I did a couple of jobs like this. When I first started a few months ago, my first phone call was to raplce a broken light switch, charged

Yes I am VAT registered, they give you an exemption certificate apparently so even the Vat that is added is not paid by them, this is the first time I have come accross this so I am still in the dark as to how it works.If any one knows please let me know, my accountant would charge me if I asked :^O

You guys give your knowledge for free:^O
Call your friendly VAT man (sorry VAT person) - they really are supremely helpful!

0845 010 9000 have your VAT number handy and they will tell you all you need to know for free!

Paul

well i put the price in and they said its a little more than they expected and getting another quote, so we shall see what comes of it.

I don't think its the best idea to show the labour and mats seperate.Just give them the bottom line .

It can encourage stuff like "OoooH perhaps we can get the mats cheaper" or " Cor blimey look how much he,s making out of this job"
Deke - any work I have done by any tradesman I want it broken down. If you won't - I won't use you.

How can I compare 2 quotes if I don't know what I am comparing! Eg a CU change I want to know what make of board you want to fit, MCB's, RCBOs etc!

Deke - any work I have done by any tradesman I want it broken down. If you won't - I won't use you. How can I compare 2 quotes if I don't know what I am comparing! Eg a CU change I want to know what make of board you want to fit, MCB's, RCBOs etc!
they get details of what will be installed etc, just not a breakdown of price