prysmium fp

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

col

Reaction score
Hi all, spent today helping a mate install a commercial kitchen & we finished with 4 cable faults (2 each).

I'm convinced it's defective cable because the inner insulation was so thin & fragile (you could easily strip it with a finger nail) they were being damaged on the aluminium sheath & we couldn't even see where.

I haven't used FP in years so wondering if anyone's else's had problems installing Prysmium FP or was it just us being numpties?

Couple of our lads run a fire system in our new office a few weeks ago. 3 sections down. As you say the inner spirits very eay and if you don't keep it away from that shield when you terminate it can easy cut in causing a short.

I suggested my mate take some off-cuts back to CEF to show them, but you're right, contacting Prysmium direct is a better idea.

Couple of our lads run a fire system in our new office a few weeks ago. 3 sections down. As you say the inner spirits very eay and if you don't keep it away from that shield when you terminate it can easy cut in causing a short.
Was that Prysmium too Barx? wondering if other manufacturers FP is any different? 

FP has always been like that .   I presume the faults are at the termination end .   Suggest you break off the sheath in the usual way then wind tape off the sheath and onto the cores to stop them being bent against the cut end of the sheath.. 

The insulation , being silicone, has always been delicate and has to be treated as such.   

Good idea, thanks Evans.

I'll have to practice my terminations.

Had been scoring the outer sheath then bending it backwards & forwards to break the aluminium, nicking the silicone in the process.  :facepalm:

Ah  thats where the problem is then .   You only need to cut a fault line with a sharp Stanley , gently break off .

Cores MUST come straight out the sheath before they are bent to shape .  As I said , tape off the sheath onto the cores.and every accessory has to be fitted carefully ...no pressure points or trapped cores. 

Sorry if I'm preaching to the converted but it may help others.

Hmmm.... last time I worked with FP was mid last year, we used Prysmium from CEF ( on the black plastic reels) and I terminated it exactly as you describe, i.e. bending the aluminium sheath backwards and forwards to break it then terminate. Ran in 400m or so of it with at least 25 terminals, all tested out A1 (apart from one dodgy sounder, not the cables fault tho)

Are you sure this is genuine Prysmium and not some cheap Chinee knock off? Id be onto CEF if it were me to be sure

Last edited by a moderator:
Was that Prysmium too Barx? wondering if other manufacturers FP is any different? 
Not sure if I'm honest, but as mentioned above, all fp is delicate. Tape up as described. I seemed to remember a few years ago there was like a plastic cap you put over the legs to keep them safe from the sheath. Similar idea time micc pots. Or did I dream that....?

Good idea that Barx, almost wished we were using micc - almost :)

It did seem ridiculously fragile, but not enough experience to know for sure.

I suggested taking an off-cut back having figured we were given a dodgy reel, maybe compare it with whatever edmundsons stock.

Not sure if I'm honest, but as mentioned above, all fp is delicate. Tape up as described. I seemed to remember a few years ago there was like a plastic cap you put over the legs to keep them safe from the sheath. Similar idea time micc pots. Or did I dream that....?
They were ferrules. Apparently they're no longer needed due to the increased damage resistant insulation known as Insudite

Latest posts