Q: Is this going to be notifiable under Part P?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoNuts

Reaction score
Not been to see the job yet, so not all info to hand.

Nursing home, wants to set up ethernet-over-power, to take PC into a resident's room for (medical) video consultation. Can't be done wirelessly.

(Base unit + 'roaming' mate unit) but apparently/allegedly it doesn't work when on different CUs. So putting the base unit in the office, and taking the mate elsewhere won't work (at least not for all rooms)

Plan at the moment is to supply one new socket for each consumer unit (which supplies about 10 residential rooms).

To be located in a cupboard inaccessible by residents, then the 'roaming' mate can be taken to any resident's room to use a PC there.

I'm legally 'competent' (2330 & 2382 & 2391) to do the work, but do I have to notify ?

Bit late to ask Building Control or scheme provider tonight..

Thanks in advance for any useful input...

Any work at a consumer unit is notifiable but tapping off an existing circuit is normally not. We maintain a few care homes owned by one company. Some are registered as multi-occupancy and some as a care home, depending on how the rents are paid and how the care is charged for, each has different schedules for the testing, fire alarms 7 emergency lights

Yeah, it's the 'normally not' notifiable bit which worries me. Don't want to get caught out.

That and the 3 13A sockets (all on different phases)? in the same cupboard.

I can see myself joining a scheme just-in-case-cause-I-ain't-sure' and can ask them.

nothing wrong with 3 double sockets on different phases...

i suggest you find out if the home is classed as a 'dwelling'. if not, then it doesnt come under part p.

if yes, then it may need notified

Last edited by a moderator:
Who decides if it's classed a 'dwelling'.? Local authority?

I have some dim & distant memories of there being an oddity in the regulations (specifically about students halls) just can't remember which way it went!

Yeah, it's the 'normally not' notifiable bit which worries me. Don't want to get caught out. That and the 3 13A sockets (all on different phases)? in the same cupboard.

I can see myself joining a scheme just-in-case-cause-I-ain't-sure' and can ask them.
Thats the alarm bells bit that started ringing with me, I dont like the sound of that too much!

Welcome to the forum NoNuts,

I don't like 230V sockets in the same area on different phases, even though it now seems allowable, though you will need DURABLE labelling to indicate the potentials.

Also EOP is not as reliable as you would like from what I have researched, we did look at using it on jobs when it first surfaced but canned it as it was not reliable enough.

You need a robust solution for medical environments with possible redundancy.

You also need to think about patient confidentiality.

You should also think about what is going on in the care home, and the areas in which you are working, because Sect 710 could come into it as could the HTM's.

Personally, I would not allow sockets across phases in this environment, as you could well have IMHO external influences BA3 & BD2, also, the EOP is not robust enough for medical use again IMHO.

Remember video conferencing is high bandwidth.

HTH,

Some of you really are over-analyzing this. It's not a medical location, but thanks for pointing out another thing that can be disregarded.

IF i end up going into resident's rooms (& we hope not, 'cause of costs) ; It'll be with ethernet only. Any new 13A sockets will be the ones in the locked cupboard.

The idea is that perhaps 5-10% of residents will use this link to 'see' the GP/Nurse from the privacy of their own bedroom, when they need advice, not treatment. There will be just one/two units per home which get taken into a residents room when needed. It's only the size of a 'freeview' box, so not a big lump of kit.

The guy who looked at the setup didn't even clock if it was rewireables, cartridges, MCBs or RCD/RCBOs, so that's another potential issue.

Gonna go look on Wednesday. Next time he can take piccies with his phone and save me a trip.

Can't do anything else anyway, what with the school being on strike...

Thanks for the welcome and the thoughts.

NN.

NoNuts,

I would be careful in the deeming it NOT a medical location, the definition in the bgb is very vague.

I bet you I could make a definition of this being a medical location based on that given in the bgb.

However, OK if it is definitely not, then you STILL have the external influences to consider.

Latest posts