RCD on new replacement down lighers

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harvey

Reaction score
I am replacing single central light in room with six 230v down lighters.There is no rcd on the lighting circuit.Whats best is it to replace 6A mcb with a 6A rcbo ?

do you need to rcd it, will you be burying cable.

if you do and rcbo wont fit then what about an rcd fcu

Personally I think this a grey area, whereby as an alteration it should be RCDed, but it always seems over the top to me, especially as its only a code 4 on PIRs. For a bathroom its a definite RCD for me, but in non special locations I would try to persuade the client it is better with RCD fitted to circuit, but if they refuse, then annotate MWC to state client has been advised, but declined.

Agree with Binky 100%, however, providing everything else was ok, i wouldnt bother.

EG, if it was a 16th CU with lights on non rcd side, & bonding etc was all good, i wouldnt even mention it.

After all, there wont be any cables being buried.

but you are extending it ?which i was lead to believe required rcd ?
Only if the new cables are burried in a wall less than 50mm deep.

Since the additional new cable will be in a ceiling / floor void, it should be easy to ensure it's more than 50mm from the surface so no RCD needed.

Does the 50mm depth only apply to walls or ceilings as well?

i've asked the local field engineer for Napit on this subjust and his answer was in this instance you only needed to rcd the circuit if you introduced a new switch drop and that switch cable was buried less then 50mm

personally i wouldn't bother with the rcd fcu or a rcbo

i've asked the local field engineer for Napit on this subjust and his answer was in this instance you only needed to rcd the circuit if you introduced a new switch drop and that switch cable was buried less then 50mmpersonally i wouldn't bother with the rcd fcu or a rcbo
just been on their web site ... in downloads there is a pdf on this

like BS said unless you have moved the switch (50mm etc)drop then no need for rcd ;)

You only need to RCD an alteration to a lighting circuit in the following circumstances:

1. if you are adding any new buried cables

2. if you are extending any existing buried cables

3. if any of the new accessories are in a bathroom

4. if it's a TT and there isn't already an RCD

5. if any cables pass through any metal framed stud work

Buried in this instance means buried in a wall less than 50mm deep. Cables in a ceiling void are not buried even if they sit on the top surface of the plasterboard.

No need for RCD in my opinion.
How can you be so sure?

Harvey has not stated the room use, so we do not know for sure it is not a bathroom.

Nor has he stated whether there are to be any new buried cables.

And, he has not stated the earthing type.

Without these pieces of information a definitive answer is not possible.

I would agree that no definitive answer can be given. Unless you or I were able to actually see the job then there can be no definitive answer.

Looking at it logically, there's only one piece of info lacking and that's whether it's in a room containing a bath or shower i.e. a special location. If we eliminate that I feel pretty confident there is no need for an RCD. Since they are down lights, the cables will most likely be in the ceiling, that's just common sense. I would also assume there will be no alteration to the switch, since he said he's replacing the center light with 6 down lights, so that tells me the switching will remain. Key word in the original post was REPLACE. I'm sure Harvey will come back and give us more info, so we can be of help.