Regular customer discounts

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Fox

Reaction score
Hello all,

Just a quick question. I've got a landlord who has given me a reasonable bit of work lately and has more coming in the way of PIR's and any follow on work along with doing any work that may need doing in the mean time. He is also talking about a couple of refurbishments on some houses he is looking into. But he has begun talking about a discount as he is giving me regular work. Not been in this situation before as don't do any regular work for any builders or anything, do you guys offer a discount to regulars like land lords or builders? If so how much, is it a % of cost or a preset agreemant or what?

Anny advice welcome!!

As Noz says or even as Zebedee says , inflate your price slightly then discount it for him , thats a typical Builder/Landlord thing, trying to squeeze a bit more out of you , like you don't have earn a living too.

Before considering discounts I would keep an eye on how the economy changes over the coming months, wait until the new budget is announced, see what VAT, fuel, tax allowances etc are doing.

Doc H.

Just tell him you'll do it a bit cheaper than normal for him and charge as you used to.

Maybe throw at him you do the work as cheep as you can already, the best you can offer him is a slight discount for fast settlement ?

After all that would be helpful for cash flow.

For larger jobs maybe screw the supplier for a better discount and get it all from the one supplier and pass the saving onto you customer that way , this means you are still getting the same for what you do.

I would think you are doing it as cheap as you possibly can as it is, any builder developer will want a discount on top of the discount you already give.

Blue Fox.

I hate it when the customer tries this one on !

Nobody likes reducing their charges ,but

If you think it works for you then go for it....

Try him on lets say 10% on the assurances of prompt payment.

and as has been mentioned ,if possible,up your charges by 10% before offering him the discount.

One thing to bear in mind is that knowing he has been successfull

in dropping your prices once he will be very tempted to do it again.

To add mate, the builders I do work for, they usually get me to do the odd peice here and there on their own homes, thats where I give the discount, or odd freebie. Keeps em sweet.

Blue Fox.I hate it when the customer tries this one on !

Nobody likes reducing their charges ,but

If you think it works for you then go for it....

Try him on lets say 10% on the assurances of prompt payment.

and as has been mentioned ,if possible,up your charges by 10% before offering him the discount.

One thing to bear in mind is that knowing he has been successfull

in dropping your prices once he will be very tempted to do it again.
if you give a 10% discount, you need to add more than 10% to the price

Latest posts