Remote Cintrol Light Switch

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Evening,

Lazy nephew wants a clap activated on/off light switch. Alternatively a remote control switch.

The clappers I've looked at are American and or badly rated.

The remote ones are mostly dimable. I've told him that he'll need a dimable lamp if he goes for that option, at extra cost.

Time guard do a on off but instructions state filaments only.

Currently no neutral at switch, but that can be changed if needs be. The lamp is a single pendant bc so the load is pretty small.

Any suggestion for a suitable combo?

Cheers.

yer, get one of those thingies that fit in the ceiling rose, then simply leave the switch on,

you can get them in both dimmable or non form,

cant remember the name now, but quite well known,

is it byron???????

On off - lol

His dad has actually just text with pull cord next to his bed. I suggested a bedside lamp - apparently he'd leave that on!? Youth if today :-(

Trying to keep the cost down, but he'd probably pay to have iphone controlled lights. Minimum dimmed load is probably a problem as only a single lamp in the room and I don't want to go back to a filament lamp.

I like steps idea, any idea if they run cfl's and LEDs?

On off - lol

His dad has actually just text with pull cord next to his bed. I suggested a bedside lamp - apparently he'd leave that on!? Youth if today :-(

Trying to keep the cost down, but he'd probably pay to have iphone controlled lights. Minimum dimmed load is probably a problem as only a single lamp in the room and I don't want to go back to a filament lamp.

I like steps idea, any idea if they run cfl's and LEDs?
dunno about cfl's, but Ive used them a few times to sw 10w led floods attached to sheds so they can turn them on/off from the house,

Ive got one in the shed for a job, could look out name etc tomorrow evening if its any use to you.

oh, also handy to remote sw fans and fan lights without having to pull the string,  :)   [just as long as speed is correct though]

oh, they come in 2versions, dimmable and non, Ive only fitted the non-dimmable ones though.

Thanks steps,

My mistake, he sits on the computer all night then leaves the light on when he goes to bed. Too lazy to walk the 3 - 4 m to the light switch near the door.

I think the best option is a slap, but that's inappropriate - apparently.

Maybe just two way or pullcord two way. I'll have a chat tomorrow. I think he wants an actual remote to control the light. I'll see what the budget is.

Kids! <Shake head>

I think I've seen your nephew:

Selection_005.png

How about a pressure pad switch / short timer on his seat, then when he get's off his ar5e the light goes off? My 15yr old boy broke all records the other night went to bed at 04.30hrs. I blame the au pair!  :lol:

On off, I saw the vellerman kit earlier but it had 2/5 star review somewhere.

The Phillips is nice but too dear - I guess.

See what he says tomorrow.

No that's no him, maybe in a couple if years. Currently 6 foot 4 and not a picking on him :-(

Mine just points and grunts, hardly walks anywhere. Then again he's only 16 months :)

Last edited by a moderator: