remote control ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I`ve recently quoted for a job which involves replacing 2 old wylex re-wirable consumer units , 1 for normal circuits and one for night storage heaters.

The existing cu`s are recessed into the wall behind the front door, so I planned to use new flush mounted cu`s (MK 6512/6508 as customer has requested MK). earthing is TNCS.

The property is a holiday flat (lovely 1970`s concrete floors and ceilings!), and the customer wants to be able to remotely switch the heating on a day or two before they arrive. He has sourced a device that will respond to a text message by closing 2 relays( 6A IIRC ).

My question is, can I use this to control a 4 pole contactor in the cu,with the 4 outputs each supplying a 16A MCB for the 4 storage heaters.

Also, the literature on MK contactors mentions a supression unit to be used in the control circuit if the contacts are not bounce free! Could somebody please explain this in language that a plumber would understand?

Any ideas appreciated - thanks , john

Bounce is to switching as an aftershock is to an earthquake. If that makes sense.

Probably doesn't but cant think of any other way to put it. I deal with bouncing quite a bit with microcontrollers but not too sure how it will affect you here. Cant see it causing any problems but I'll let someone else make that decision ;)

Thanks noz - will have a look at the site.

Thanks barx - think i understand. So if i`m not sure if the controller/relay is bounce free, would it hurt to put the supressor in just in case/

Here you go....i4 Control - Intelligent Home Automation Solutions

Im not sure if it's showing on their website yet as they were just finishing developing it a couple of weeks ago... So of the rest of their kit looks really interesting..

From what I know it can be switched directly, via text message or over the internet
Noz I'm not sure but it looks a bit expensive for what plumberjohn wants, going by what the OP said I think the end user has the kit he just needs to use the kit he has to switch a contactor that will take the heater loads by the sound of things

i4 Control - Intelligent Home Automation Solutions

Its hard to get a handle on how their kit works not a lot of technical info, I'll have to have a proper read of their site.

What do you want to know Ian,,

I had a good chat with one of the directors (inventor) and another of his guys

The switches are all dimmers and can be set to as a scheme

Switches and sockets can either be switched manually, via remote control, by text via a SMS router, by a web interface via a router switch or by an Apple or Android App over the Internet in the same way.

Socket and switches can also be remotely locked on or off so that they can't be manually operated,

does it use the house wiring as the comms bus like x10 or does it need a separate bus wiring to each device, is there a central controller or is each device programmable

PlumberJohn, The answer to the question no-one has answered yet, is yes. Y ou can switch the contactor with the relay. So long as the relay contacts can handle 230V (shouldn't be a problem). As far as debouncing is concerned, like I said I can't see it being a problem. Switch bounce only last for milliseconds and I doubt the contactor would even react that quickly. The problem with it on micro controllers is the input are sampled a few million times per second so, a bouncing signal can give false input counts. i.e. 1 switch action could be read as 3 or 4 fast switches. To debounce you simply code a delay into the processor between samples.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 22:20 ---------- Previous post was made at 22:16 ----------

Personally I would have thought a suppressor would be used to suppress the feedback surge you can get when you switch off the contactor (and relays). Basically, as you turn off the juice the magnetic field in the coil of the contector collepses and dumps all it's energy onto the connected conductors. Thus spiking sensitive equipment, Again, because your using a replay as the trigger, which has volt free contacts, I dont see it being a problem.

Barx,

You will need debounce normally for PLC/CNC type inputs from for example manual push buttons, especially "smart" ones or other short stroke or membrane type.

However, that is normally s/w.

h/w debounce is unusual really, but it depends on the receiver!

Barx,You will need debounce normally for PLC/CNC type inputs from for example manual push buttons, especially "smart" ones or other short stroke or membrane type.

However, that is normally s/w.

h/w debounce is unusual really, but it depends on the receiver!
So, is that re-iterating that a suppressor is A) not required in this situation and 2) not used for debouncing.

Thanks for the info btw.

I think that depends sorry mate!

Again as usual I don't have enough info!

What supressor, what controller, what slave device, specs etc.

Such things can be calculated & assessed from manuf' info.

HOWEVER, my gut feeling is your post above is probably correct Barx.

Having had a quick squint, forget the debounce stuff!

Just wire the coils of the contactors controling the heating through the contacts in the gsm-auto unit.