replacing consumer unit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of course it does.

You have to test each circuit as you have modified the operating characteristics of the protective devices for each circuit.

can anyone tell if i replace an old fuse board to a new consumer unit does it need a cert.
1st off welcome to the forum. :)

Yes it does, it needs a full EIC issuing which would involve fully testing all the existing circuits, this work is also notifiable to the LABC if you are not Part P registered.

You would also need to upgrade the main earth bonds to gas and water etc. if they are not up to code.

Polite answer Ian. :D
muchas gracias Admin:D

They caught me at a good moment and thought it would be rude to let rip at their 1st post.

But after an afternoon of writing PIR's and EIC's the mood is slowly turning :_|

muchas gracias Admin:DThey caught me at a good moment and thought it would be rude to let rip at their 1st post.

But after an afternoon of writing PIR's and EIC's the mood is slowly turning :_|
I trust you don't have the easycert then? :D

can anyone tell if i replace an old fuse board to a new consumer unit does it need a cert.
:_| ?:| :eek:

perhaps try......... Reg 134.2.1!

ALL work needs appropriate inspection testing & certification! :| ;) :)

Hello bebopswivell.

from a question like that do I take it you are not qualified or a DIY person?

Do you have suitable test equipment to verify circuits are OK?

what about Part P notification? :|

:_| ?:| :eek: perhaps try......... Reg 134.2.1!

ALL work needs appropriate inspection testing & certification! :| ;) :)

Hello bebopswivell.

from a question like that do I take it you are not qualified or a DIY person?

So Spesh, if he is neither of those then what is he mate ??????

not many options left

It would appear what ever he is he aint come back to get the answer he logged out shortly after posting and not been back since, wonder why?

It would appear what ever he is he aint come back to get the answer he logged out shortly after posting and not been back since, wonder why?
obviously he didnt get the correct response. you evil bunch of people

Answer he wanted:

No, you dont need any certs. you also dont need any knowledge of electrics. just make sure you know how to use a screwdriver (you can even do that badly). go to B&Q etc, buy the cheapest you can find (hell, even a 2nd hand one from the market will do)

IIRC, a new CU requires EIC regardless of like for like replacement
thats not quite correct Andy

i've lost track of how many times i've turned up to do a job to find the cu i quoted for as part of the original work has been replaced with no sign of a cert ...... X(

i've even had the old 'oh the spark said you would give me a cert to cover the board change cos you're the last one to work on it'...

yeah thats right...here's ya minor work cert for the bit i've done.....how much did he charge for the board?..... ohh

so far i have only ever been given past certs once. irrelevant to what work i was going to be doing, but was still bit of a shock! (it was a MWC for some other works done a few years previous)