Retractive Pull Switch ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone recommend one , readily available ?   Other than the low volt disabled alarm type.  These are to trigger two shower room fans up in loft  ,  customer doesn't want them tied in to the lights .  :C   (Now that all the wiring is complete , of course) 

I can see an MK  3190  in catalogue & same in RS , just wondering if theres another make readily available .

Retractive = momentary. No idea why, retractive isn't even a real word but it's been like that since forever (or at least for as long as I can remember).

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, their not quite momentary, they have a built in time delay, where as a true momentary switch would be for example a bell push, or a start/stop push button on for example a machine.

We did a day at this job today ...had another think about it  while there .

We have wired two shower / toilet rooms in the usual way , lighting switch wire triggers the fans which are in the loft ....customer decides they don't want them linked to the lights & my mate thought we'd just remove the sw/wire and operate with a retractive pull .

However , looking at it today we thought the fans will only do 20 mins then stop ..... and if they get condensation & toilet smells , they'll be blaming us , so decided to just alter it to simple on/off  ....as they have requested ,,,up to them whether they use the fans or not .......doesnt comply with building regs but thats their problem not mine .  

doesnt comply with building regs
I think it does actually, I looked into this a while ago and ISTR that the conclusion drawn was any sort of mechanical ventilation of a sufficient size/rate was fine no matter how it was switched.

Ah I'm sure you're right , lurch, I always thought it started with hotels etc ...where they couldn't rely upon anyone switching fans on & off ...and it expanded into general use .   

Must admit that over the last couple of years I find more & more customers either want the overrun at minimum or , when they find what the 3 pole switch is for , just switch them off .   Most refer to ...."The annoying noise "   :C

Must admit that over the last couple of years I find more & more customers either want the overrun at minimum or , when they find what the 3 pole switch is for , just switch them off .   Most refer to ...."The annoying noise "   :C
I think that's what forced me to find clarification, to save falling out with a client over a 4" fan!