Retrofit LED 5ft tubes in existing fittings query.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always rewire for Installation A without the ballast. Stops someone in the future putting a tube in the wrong way and knocking the whole circuit out

So if someone puts the shorted end in the live end cap with the Crompton tube, what happens?

Dead short  :(        They should make that end open circuit .   

That,s the third design fault   with these tubes  then .  And it would be dead easy to fit one the wrong way round , the  live end has printing on it but very feint , the other end is blank .  I'd say the live end would be good coloured red.       

Dead short  :(        They should make that end open circuit .   

That,s the third design fault   with these tubes  then .  And it would be dead easy to fit one the wrong way round , the  live end has printing on it but very feint , the other end is blank .  I'd say the live end would be good coloured red.       

Is that why they want you to use a fuse link in the unit?

Meridian lighting suggest keeping the wiring via both ends so the lamp will work either way....

meridian LED tube.jpg 

:coffee

I'm not having a dig, it's just that if dodgy Dave puts a replacement LED tube in, will the driver end be obvious to him

I'm not having a dig, it's just that if dodgy Dave puts a replacement LED tube in, will the driver end be obvious to him

What if diy Derek has fitted a horse shoe in place of his 5 amp fuse link? That could be a nasty surprise especially if he hasn't isolated the supply before fitting the tube as i know we seldom tend to

Hey  ProDave , he's calling you Dodgy Dave   & me  DIY Derek  :innocent

Actually I can now see the logic in wiring through the two end caps ....if the tube is fitted the other way  it will still work  & the fuse will be in the Line  ...but still won't kill the lamp circuit .  It should be upstream of the tube . 

As an after thought , I think the US sparks call fluorescent end caps ."Tombstones" 

Those "tombstones", or whatever you want to call them often appear to me of very flimsy construction. I have seen older ones disintegrate too.

Originally they operated with only a few volts between their two contacts and the idea of putting mains straight onto them seems suspect to me, but I suppose someone has   considered this and deemed it OK.

Those "tombstones", or whatever you want to call them often appear to me of very flimsy construction. I have seen older ones disintegrate too.

Originally they operated with only a few volts between their two contacts and the idea of putting mains straight onto them seems suspect to me, but I suppose someone has   considered this and deemed it OK.

if the caps are knackered, you need to change the fitting. Ballasts step up voltages to create an arc, it's certainly more than a few volts, and of course the original lamp would be 2 / 3 times the wattage and run hotter.