rewireble fuse

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if customer refuses to pay for a new board and your adding sockets

would it be ok to replace double socket with this (see pic) and spur off from the rcd side to a socket under the worktop

04112009195.jpg

another idear wolud be a 2 way board with 2 rcbo for lights and sockets,

can this be fed from a 40 amp fuse in the old fuse board

2nd idea. 1st would only provide rcd protection to the outlets rather than both circuit wiring and outlets

2nd idea. 1st would only provide rcd protection to the outlets rather than both circuit wiring and outlets
would put one on lights as well,

prob go with 2 way bit more straight forward

Tom, the image you post wouldn't fit a standard double back box. You'd need 2 singles.

How about a stand alone RCD in the tails before the consumer unit?

Tom, the image you post wouldn't fit a standard double back box. You'd need 2 singles. How about a stand alone RCD in the tails before the consumer unit?
got them both screwed into a dule 35mm back box not 100% on the idear though, had the rcd on the tails idear, the nic eic man was not to keen as all the circuits are on same rcd

got them both screwed into a dule 35mm back box not 100% on the idear though, had the rcd on the tails idear, the nic eic man was not to keen as all the circuits are on same rcd
It's a limitation. You want to change the board, customer refuses. You have, overall, made the installation safer. More safer than just RCD protecting a couple of metres of cable.

How's the bonding?

It's a limitation. You want to change the board, customer refuses. You have, overall, made the installation safer. More safer than just RCD protecting a couple of metres of cable. How's the bonding?
its a fair point i would rather have 1 rcd rather than none

bondings ok

This is where Special Location come into full bloom.

I will give you my take on it.

First you have to make sure that the customer is fully aware of what you can and can not do.

Then you have to give them the cheapest option that you can safely say covers the installation.

If you are adding to an exsisting circuit you have to maintain that the circuit is no less safe than when you started, if you doubt that it would you should not touch it.

The 17th edition requires that RCD additional protection is provided for cables buried in walls etc less than 50mm, and all socket outlets should if can be used for extentions outside be protected by RCD's.

You could just say NO.

Walk away and not do the job, or insist that the way it has to be done is what you suggest.

On the other hand because Part P is a joke, ill informed, and almost never enforced you could just do the job, and call yourself the odd job man for the day.

Do not get me wrong I would never condone this action, but why is it that the electricians who are enrolled in Part P, the only ones who take Part P seriously?

Just feed the rcd from ring mcb/fuse live, neutral from the common then the ring fed from rcd, it's another way to protect that circuit and comply and is cheap enough option.

This is where Special Location come into full bloom.I will give you my take on it.

First you have to make sure that the customer is fully aware of what you can and can not do.

Then you have to give them the cheapest option that you can safely say covers the installation.

If you are adding to an exsisting circuit you have to maintain that the circuit is no less safe than when you started, if you doubt that it would you should not touch it.

The 17th edition requires that RCD additional protection is provided for cables buried in walls etc less than 50mm, and all socket outlets should if can be used for extentions outside be protected by RCD's.

You could just say NO.

Walk away and not do the job, or insist that the way it has to be done is what you suggest.

On the other hand because Part P is a joke, ill informed, and almost never enforced you could just do the job, and call yourself the odd job man for the day.

Do not get me wrong I would never condone this action, but why is it that the electricians who are enrolled in Part P, the only ones who take Part P seriously?
good post and advice, its a tricky situation in terms of electrics there is not a lot to it few socket and downlights, its bad really cus i could walk away and no doubt some one will just come and do it no questions asked

bit more concise but the same idea:|
yer seems to be way forward mate

prob will end up with db to a 2 way then can do both lights and sockets