Ring mains in a new build

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
as a new build, you should have a circuit schedule printed out next to the board that, in theory, should give clearer guidance as to what cct does what.

There's nothing on the CU about what each cct does what im afraid. Literally nothing.

There's nothing on the CU about what each cct does what im afraid. Literally nothing.

This is down to building companies maximising profits and driving cost as the core objective...

i.e. get the job done as quickly & cheaply as possible..

which then equates to the old phrase "If you pay peanuts you get monkeys"

seen it time and time again...

New-builds lacking common sense stuff that would have been easy to do during construction,

but a pain in the rear after walls have been plastered!   

:C

A company I used to work for wired houses like that in the late 80's early 90's, split front to back, I have even seen then wired left side on one circuit and right side on another for sockets. I remember one job I did years ago the guy was a right pita so made a point of going well over the top, I labelled each switch and socket with a nice label with the circuit number on it, I even did an 'as fitted' drawing showing the cable runs, this was left in a small tube below the board. I had done all my preliminary tests and had the sheets in the tube, all I needed was the job signed off and back in the day I used to get Manweb to do them, a lot of clients preferred this, they trusted the 'leccy board'  and for me it was tested by an independant so the client knew that it was right, I hadn't just written out a certificate.

Just as this job was coming to an end my other half decided to run off with another bloke, or more accurately, she decided to sling my stuff out while I was at work. Anyway finding somewhere to live became more of a priority than getting his job signed off and he started putting it about that the reason I hadn't got the ticket done was that the job wasn't right! I was so annoyed that I told him to ring Manweb, get the cert done and I would knock it off the price of the job, so he did. He was going on to the guy who cam to do the test, really slagging me off, the bloke looked at the drawings and also my test sheets, he did his tests and the results were almost identical to mine. Much to the annoyance of the client he told him that it was one of the best installations he'd seen especially with all the drawings and labelled up accessories.

I know it was over the top and to be honest labelling all the accessories and the 'as fitted' drawings were done as a mickey take because the client was a pita, and I did it just to prove I did do a good job.