Satnavs...love 'em Or Hate 'em ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited by a moderator:
I had an old tomtom one. Wanted to upgrade the maps as I was going to france last year. Map of France - £45 so sold satnav for £20 and found a good offer on a new widescreen jobby with europe maps and bluetooth etc for £75 so happy days. BUt there is a drawback, some of the new tomtoms have free map upgrades for life, this one doesnt. It keeps asking me to connect and then wants money for new maps etc.

You can get a manual version of a tomtom for about £2 - a bit more labour intensive and the voice is way more annoying..... :)

Its all well and good if you have a smart phone...... my phone would perhaps class as a 'moronic' phone at best....
I've not got a smart phone either. Just the works provided Samsung rugged brick thing with a miniature screen! Takes absolute rubbish photos too. I take great delight in taking shots with it then apologising for the quality!

I had an old tomtom one. Wanted to upgrade the maps as I was going to france last year. Map of France - £45 so sold satnav for £20 and found a good offer on a new widescreen jobby with europe maps and bluetooth etc for £75 so happy days. BUt there is a drawback, some of the new tomtoms have free map upgrades for life, this one doesnt. It keeps asking me to connect and then wants money for new maps etc.

You can get a manual version of a tomtom for about £2 - a bit more labour intensive and the voice is way more annoying..... :)
TomTom, OK say you buy one now with lifetime maps. Maps don't include speed camera warnings which you will need to pay for year on year!

On mine, the speed camera warnings come with the Live Services package which itself is just short of £50 a year! As mine didn't come with maps, (the same model does now) to keep it up to date with maps and Live Services  I'm looking at not far off £100 a year.......for ever!

And.....if you run Linux, there is no TomTom software for it even though I think TomTom use a modified (ripped off?) form for their OS.

Old thread I know but...

Does anyone know a good place to repair TomToms? 

My pita one above that wouldn't update and hasn't for a few years AFTER doing a TomTom update has finally gone on the blink as in it turns itself on and off at will, grey screens out and freezes. Nearly £300 worth of lettuced! TomTom themselves never during all my complaints wanted to address the issues just offered a paltry discount on a new one! 

I could use the phone (Google Maps) but like the speed camera and speed limit warnings.

what about waze? 

Not used a shat nav in years, had a Garmin that just one day bricked it and switched to Google maps I found to be the most accurate though waze is good and includes camera locations but won't protect you from a policeman in a bush. 

google maps is almost as good as any sat-nav, but reading map before leaving works even better. Lke Andy I tend to use sat-nav to hone in on final destination. My sat-nav (now unused for bout 6 years) had a dreadful sense of humour - it reckons country lanes where there's grass growing down the middle and you mirrors touch both sides are as fast as using a dual carriageway  :shakehead . It was a bit like star-trek - to go where no man has been before (except for the odd local farmer)  :^O

Generally I find the sat nav useful   .   I don't bother to look at the display  , just follow the voice directions  .   Yes they go haywire sometimes but  generally very useful .  

I noticed if I 'm returning into Brum  from the Covenrty side  all I need do is follow a certain A road,  then  take  one of the rat runs  round side streets  to avoid  rush hour traffic ,  but the sat nav   ( if on) always tries to send me in a weird direction .   Knowing Brum I'm thinking why would I want to go that way .

Thought I'd follow it once , see where it took me .    Coming into Brum by the Jaguar ...     I think because  its set for motorways  it takes you off on a merry go round of traffic filled streets  ...down to Spaghetti Junction   (J6).. onto the  M6   and off again at J7   which is near  to Dekington Towers  but is twice the distance of my route. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts