Scottish Electrician Advice

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jocklock123

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm currently in Scotland and I am looking to retrain to be an Electrician.

I was looking at going down to England and sitting my C&G 3 diploma (2365), Inspection and testing (2391-52), and 18th edition ( 2382-18).

Once I have these what work I am actually allowed to carry out and self-certify in Scotland, would it be minor domestic electrical work that does not require a warrant?

I would then look to become a competent person through NICEIC. I would like to know if this is the correct route to go down. are there other or preferable schemes? Is this necessary to work in the trade?

Any help would be great, I just don't want to go down the line and then find I am very limited in what I can actually do!

Cheers, Jock

What experience do you have on working in houses, a lot of time it is not just about the quals you have but knowing about the construction of houses, for example how to lift floor boards with minimum damage, how to put holes into ceilings to fish cables and make good afterwards.
How long does the course last? remember it takes most of us 4 years to learn the basics.
A lot of the short courses are designed for people with relevant but maybe not exact experience that need that little extra bit of knowledge and paperwork just to bring them up to speed.
As I say I have no idea of your knowledge or experience so it might be spot on for you or it might be just a training company trying to grab your hard earned cash by giving you false promises, be careful and good luck.

What experience do you have on working in houses, a lot of time it is not just about the quals you have but knowing about the construction of houses, for example how to lift floor boards with minimum damage, how to put holes into ceilings to fish cables and make good afterwards.
How long does the course last? remember it takes most of us 4 years to learn the basics.
A lot of the short courses are designed for people with relevant but maybe not exact experience that need that little extra bit of knowledge and paperwork just to bring them up to speed.
As I say I have no idea of your knowledge or experience so it might be spot on for you or it might be just a training company trying to grab your hard earned cash by giving you false promises, be careful and good luck.
No course can teach you house bashing, that's where an apprenticeship comes into play

See my signature. No need to be a member of a competent persons scheme in Scotland (for now at least)

But you still need to be competent. A huge part of house bashing has nothing to do with connecting cables and wiring regs, and a lot to do with understanding how buildings are built, how you can route cables safely and within regs. Only when you have worked out how to get a cable from A to B without destroying the customers house can you actually get down to the business of being a sparky and connecting it.

See my signature. No need to be a member of a competent persons scheme in Scotland (for now at least)

But you still need to be competent. A huge part of house bashing has nothing to do with connecting cables and wiring regs, and a lot to do with understanding how buildings are built, how you can route cables safely and within regs. Only when you have worked out how to get a cable from A to B without destroying the customers house can you actually get down to the business of being a sparky and connecting it.
Plan b, suggest they get a plasterer when you have finished 😃