Sds Drill

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max6979

Reaction score
I am interested in buying an sds drill - does anyone use these and which brand model do you use and what features should I look for ?

Contrary to others, I recommend a cheap one.  One like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SDS-ROTARY-66020C-HAMMER-BREAKER-DRILL-POWER-TOOL-240V-850W-NT-/380845566408?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item58ac2a29c8

Those are what I call "no name" drills. that pattern of drill is available for between £30 and £40 from loads of places  under a variety of different names.

I have been using one for 11 years now.  It's well used and battered but still works perfectly.  It's a damn good drill.

In those 11 years the only maintenance has been 1 new set of brushes, and a new mains flex (it developed a break where it flexes as it enters the handle, so I took the opportunity to replace it with a much longer flex) 

only problem with those are they are heavier than most others. not too bad for odd use, but chasing a full house etc and you will notice the difference

Last edited by a moderator:
I like a bit of weight for chasing,

I normally use a Hilti 500 for chasing, using a normal SDS for chasing it just wants to bounce all the time, imho.  :C

Im of the same line of thought as PD, I bought a Titan 1500watt sds from screwfix the other week, yes its a bit heavier but you soon get used to it. And for the princely sum of £50m you cant really go wrong. Id put you a link up but their website is down at the mo

Im of the same line of thought as PD, I bought a Titan 1500watt sds from screwfix the other week, yes its a bit heavier but you soon get used to it. And for the princely sum of £50m you cant really go wrong. Id put you a link up but their website is down at the mo
:eek:

HOW MUCH?!?!?!?!?!?    :shakehead

It has to be said again   HOW MUCH !!!!!!!!!!!!  :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Now if you are like me you have more than one drill....

Be it battery or mains..

I have cheapo and brand name battery drills

AND

cheapo and brand name SDS+ drills...

they all have their place..

as has been said sometimes its the power to weight ratio..

if you are up a ladder needing that extra umphh a heavy cheap corded SDS drill may not be the best solution!?

Either way keep a look out at B&Q and screwfix etc..

As they often have stuff on end of line clearance discount...

maybe save anything from £30+ onward depending upon what you are after... 

My current 230v SDS is a Bosch..  Previous was a Makita...

The Bosh was on offer 50% off when I bought it if I remember right!

No other reason than cost!!!

at that price, i would expect the drill to do all the work for you. including the cleaning up

Sounds more like the whole Royal family & a few palaces   :lol: