self certification

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peteseddon

Reaction score
I make and install kitchens, bathrooms etc, and carry out general building, how do I apply for electrical self certification ? I have some 40 yrs experience.

You could go and do Part 'P' but that is

currently under revision. Watch this space.

Part 'P' is not an indicator of competence in

self certification of electrical installations on

its own.

Last edited by a moderator:
I make and install kitchens, bathrooms etc, and carry out general building, how do I apply for electrical self certification ? I have some 40 yrs experience.
Welcome to the forum. A simple question to identify what level you are at, would be to know what electrical certificates you have been issuing for your work so far over the past 40 years? and how you have been verifying the accuracy of your test meter? Wiring regulations have required test certificates to be issued for a very long time. Whereas it is the issuing of building regulations compliance certificates that requires the electrician to have proved his or her competence, to do what you refer to self certification. Which typically means joining one of the approved schemes such as NICEIC, NAPIT, ELECSA, BSI If you look at their various websites they list the entry requirements, qualifications, test equipment calibration and monitoring procedures, complaints procedures, copies of all relevant regulations, public liability insurance etc. Experience carries little value without formal qualifications and proven competence by formal annual assessment. Unfortunately there are many builders out there who think electrical work is just pulling in and connecting some wires to a socket or light. To ensure safety of your work it is a little more involved, which is why the wiring regulations advise proper inspection and testing of existing installation and the amended installation prior to re-energising a circuit.

Doc H.

Or give a Sparky some work !!!

What electrical knowledge, qualifications and experience do you have ?

Do you have testers ?

You would probably get signed up with a Part P provider as limited scope, to be honest , I know a bathroom refurber who registered with a scheme before I did , he knows as much about electrical work as I do about brain surgery .

What do you do at the moment , do it yourself without notifying or certing ?

One assumes you haven

You dont have to be an electrician these days, its simple, just bang in the wires and connect them to whatever fuse you can get hold of. Electricians should ignore the word proper, in most cases the clients are not after "proper" they just want cheap. I saw a PIR done by a Part P electrician near me who gave a code 1 for a shower being fed via a 1.5 cable. The customer was in shock when he told her that it should be 10mm. Over the phone I said he was correct, if its an electric shower it should not even run on 1.5mm. When I got there I found a little fault in his report, the shower was not electric, but had a cable to supply a thermostat valve. A basic fault that could only be done by inexperiance. I just wondered how he would terminate 10mm into the connector block on the valve.

You dont have to be an electrician these days, its simple, just bang in the wires and connect them to whatever fuse you can get hold of. Electricians should ignore the word proper, in most cases the clients are not after "proper" they just want cheap. I saw a PIR done by a Part P electrician near me who gave a code 1 for a shower being fed via a 1.5 cable. The customer was in shock when he told her that it should be 10mm. Over the phone I said he was correct, if its an electric shower it should not even run on 1.5mm. When I got there I found a little fault in his report, the shower was not electric, but had a cable to supply a thermostat valve. A basic fault that could only be done by inexperiance. I just wondered how he would terminate 10mm into the connector block on the valve.
and folks wonder why I hate 5DFW.

ok, there may be a very small minority of good ones out there,

but its them that have to prove that to me, otherwise I will always take the default setting of 5DFW are CARP.!