Self employed nightmare.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NAw don't bother Steps , you're not even on Windows are you ? I lost Firefox last night and it won't re-install , this is a lot slower .

IE = a Morris Minor

FF = a sports car

Chrome = a F1 Ferrari

Im thinking about the half hour delay with Jen, ;)

Deke, try safari, its quite good too, I just prefer the way FF does stuff,

and for me chrome seems to be (slightly) slower than FF on Ubuntu. :|

Two months ago I caught my foot and fell over onto both wrists in my workshop. I thought I'd broken my right wrist, the pain went right up my arm. 5 years ago I smashed it and had pins in.

Next day went to A&E they xrayed it said no more new fractures and gave me a wrist support. Two days later I was high jumping. I had to carry on working I was in the middle of a job, I was having a lot of pain, not so much in my wrist but more futher up my arm. A few weeks later I was still in pain so went back to A&E.

The Doc thought I was trying it on saying "whats a matter with it" while bending my arm and wrist about. He finally decided to send me for another xray. He then found I had a broken elbow. I was a bit worried if I had to have a pot on. A nurse came in with a sling, I said no point in putting that on I'll be driving home in a minute. She looked at the doc gone out, he shrugged his shoulders and said "he's been like that two week!

When I had to book into the fracture clinic, the receptionist thought I was winding her up when I said I couldn't come in the next day as I was plastering.

Typical - busier than a busy thing and this happens. Pulled a rubble sack out of the van on Tuesday, felt a scratch and then saw a wound 5 inches long x 1 inch wide. Yuck. Docs want me to have it bandaged up for 2 weeks. How do you guys allow for this sort of thing when you have your own business?View attachment 2173
have two weeks to catch up, do certs and books etc, also hit the phones, network whatever and make sure your extra busy when your back and do a few weekends aswell. the prob i can see is when your on holiday you cant do anythin for you business really

Last time I did something which kept me off work I booked a last minute holiday, and made that my annual leave. But I was fortunate that I was in a position to do that.

About a year ago I slipped with Mr Stanley, after a couple of seconds I noticed an hole in my trousers. At this point I then realised what I had done. I rolled up the leg and saw a wonderful gaping hole. As blood was dripping out my leg the client asked if she could do anything. I asked her to nip to the chemist and pick up some steristrips, 5 mins later she's back. "Did you get them?" "Yes" she answers "but you can't have them as the chemist says you need to go to hospital" Client then bundles me in her car and drops me at A&E. *****. Could have finished the job that afternoon, instead in A&E then had to get back to hers to pick up van. Wonder if I should have charge for lost time.

I'm fortunate because there are two of us and we also take particular subbies on now and then. Trouble is the subbies are busy elsewhere so it puts pressure on my business partner. He'll cope but it's not ideal as resentment can easily set in as even though you can work from home, they don't necessarily see that you are keeping busy. I will soldier on, had 4 days off the tools and got to go to Oxford tomorrow to collect and fit out new van ready for working in the big smoke on Monday so will just get on with it.

About a year ago I slipped with Mr Stanley, after a couple of seconds I noticed an hole in my trousers. At this point I then realised what I had done. I rolled up the leg and saw a wonderful gaping hole. As blood was dripping out my leg the client asked if she could do anything. I asked her to nip to the chemist and pick up some steristrips, 5 mins later she's back. "Did you get them?" "Yes" she answers "but you can't have them as the chemist says you need to go to hospital" Client then bundles me in her car and drops me at A&E. *****. Could have finished the job that afternoon, instead in A&E then had to get back to hers to pick up van. Wonder if I should have charge for lost time.
I don't think thats very nice she could have just called an ambulance and as for charging for lost time its not like she had the knife.

I wany to reply but can find no additional information than that given
Me too, what I was going to say has already been said.

Take someone on - there are plenty willing to work for free to gain experience, and watch over them.

I wish you a speedy recovery, Cirrus.

Just don't do anything now that you will regret later. :(

Latest posts