Shop lighting

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilman

Reaction score
I've got a job coming up to replace 5 small boards with a larger distribution board in a 4 storey shop. There are track and down-lights throughout. No RCD/ RCBO at the moment. What kind of protective devices/ circuit arrangements do others use to try and minimise disruption when RCD/ RCBO trips on lamp failure?

Distribute the lights across phases, and IF you insist on using RCD's use RCBO's.

Remember your warning labels though.

Would really need a bit more info.

First off.. it's a shop so the people working there will usually be "INSTRUCTED PERSONS" and anyone else shouldn't be doing anything with the electrics without themselves being instructed..... so you don't need to RCD anything and you could (Zs permitting) use C6 or B10 MCB's or even BS88's for the lighting... also as it's s 4 storey shop it should have emergency lighting.

Whilst the socket outlets also do not require RCD protection it might be an idea to push for RCD socket outlets instead of RCDing the circuit and also go for full "PAT" testing

Single phase only - do you think the RCD aspect is unneccessary for lighting in a shop environment?

Unless earth loop warrants it I would not RCD protect lights there really should not be a need in a shop. I would RCD protect sockets though even if they are not for general use but I am cautious person.

Latest posts